Cruisair window.

Gary Brink

I believe this was discussed some time ago, but what are the pros and cons of the Cruisair window that will open vs: the non opening window? Mine has a window that will open and I like the idea of being able to open it on hot days. However, I'm at the point where I need to decide whether to put back the "drop down" window or seal it up. All thoughts and comments are appreciated.
Gary

Definitely drop down window...my theory being that the only advantage to sealing it up is a reduction in drag and noise that you will never ever notice, and the drop down window is cool. One of the things that attracted me to these airplanes is the fact that most of their features are not those realized on other airplanes. Every little step we can take to make them unique is an amazing step.

A thought.........The slide down window can be nice on hot days. However, when closed, there is a considerable gap between the window and the fuselage fabric. A lot of water can get in there when parked outside without a cover. Now GM knew about this and provided a gutter underneath the window to drain off water. However.............Time has proven that these gutters get clogged with debris.......now all that water doesn't drain out. I just flows along the inside of the fuselage. Do what you want; but rather than a leaky sliding window that will get scratched up, I'd go for a fixed window with an openable quarter window like the '58 Cruisemaster or the Cherokees have. One of those "kool scoops" will help. Dan

Gary, just make sure that you have the drip tray underneath the window and that the little drain pipe that goes out the bottom of the fuselage. I think that the reason many of the windows were sealed up, is that the drain pipes clogged and allowed water to run down the inside of the fuselage. Years ago Cruisairs were cheep old planes that were left out on tie-downs in all weather conditions. Not many of us now would let our pampered babys sit out in the rain. My first ride in a Cruisair was in 100 degree heat, and when the pilot slid the window down, I was hooked. I have the drip tray and patterns for the wood slides, and hope to put it in next winter.______Grant.

I have a drop down window and I really wouldn't want to be without it. I slide it down with out thinking about it and besides that I tend to be a little claustrophobic and it gets rid of those feelings for me..a little claustrophobic....hell a lot claustrophobic now that I think about it.. :? I do have a scratched up window and I wish I could solve that. I slide it down to take pictures. I have to admit..the other cruiseairs that I see with out it look better than mine.
I vote for the drop down window

MIke

One thing I've noticed as I re-recover the fuselage of 392 is the tendancy for the bottom of the window frame to bow out allowing even MORE rain and debris to collect in the water channel. Don't know what to do about this short of building an entire new window frame and that just plain doesn't appeal.
I'll be a slide-down window guy, but I really need to figure out how much curvature my new window needs. I installed it without any curve and it won't move. :?
BTW, weren't ALL the side windows in a Cruisair originally slightly curved? Mine were all flat when I bought her and it looked a little funny.

I have a slide down and wouldn't want it any other way. As was said before it is a cool feature that sets it apart from the spam. Besides my Crusair rarely gets wet.

Kevin

Dave, I'm planning to put plexiglass in mine and it bends as well as slides up and down. However, I realize that it scratches rather easily. So...I'm making "quick detachable" upholstery over the bottom of the window so that I can inspect it for water damage as well as change the window when needed. I wanted to use poly carbon but apparently it won't work.
Gary

Back