Cruisair

Larry call Desser Tire and Rubber 1-800-247-8473. they have every A/C tire ever made. Lynn the crate :p

Yep, Dresser's got 'em for $59.95. It is also been on my buy list for a while since the old 6 inch tire looks more like 4 1/2.

This got me thinking a while back about substitutes.

Since the Crusair is under CAR 4a, which specifically says that the tail wheels need not be of an approved type, there may be more options. Matco, for example, has a pneumatic 6 X 2 Wheel and tire for ~$75. A replacement tire/tube is ~$16 for it. Has anyone "gone experimental" in this small corner of our world?

Sorry. I only read "original" in the 1st post and thought - solid tire - like all cruisairs I've known of.
So, I misinformed you. I was thinking solid, not inflatable as you plainly stated.

Did some 14-13-3s come original with the 8 inch cruismaster tailwheel set up?

Anyway, Desser has about every a/c tire made. A common size is 280/250-4 for about $40. This size is also used on much less noble creations like lawn mowers. :)
ron marks

At the risk of sounding uneducated in all things tail wheel........

My early 14-13 has a rather tired looking Royal Airplane 8.00 SC pneumatic tail wheel tire (pics below) that is making me nervous since about 2/3 of my ops are on hard surface runways. I haven't measured fork width yet, but will. Based on the presence of the 8.00 pneumatic tire versus the solid 6" tire it probably left the factory with, I'm assuming my airplane has a later style tail wheel fork, but there is no logbook entry or 337 to that effect.

A few questions for you gents with more experience on this issue than I:
1. Will the 8.00 SC tail wheel tire on Desser work on my hub?
2. Blimpy mentions a Polish tire and one of my friends with a Waco UPF-7 highly modified for Airshow work runs this same tire. Any caveats to installing it / verifying dimensions and any comments on how it compares to the Desser tire? Airshow buddy swears by his Polish made tire - years and years of good service.
3. Does a anyone have a Royal Airplane 8.00 SC NOS tire on their shelf they would like to sell?

I think most Cruisairs came with the 6X2 solid tire, which is available from Desser and other sources.
I have seen wider yokes that will accept the Maule SFS and 800SC.
A good replacement for the 6X2 is the homebuilder's 6" tire/wheel combo from ACS, which used to sell
for around $30. This is the standard TW for the RV/Glasair series. The Maules are commercially available
but the 800SC is hard to find. They were used by Fairchilds and PT22s. The Waco would have used a 10SC.
Dan

Back