Cruisair

It's a buyers market. Used airplanes are selling very slowly as a general rule.
Only the well known airplanes like 172, 182, PA28 etc are moving. The Bellancas
are a niche market and probably have been for the last 50 years.
The only thing I can see to improve the situation is the elimination of the third class medical.
The general population is more interested in pursuing avocations, hobbies and activities with
less hassle than learning to fly and maintaining an airplane.
My thoughts......
Dan

Cruisairs have been low priced planes as long as I can remember, and I have been flying for over 50 yrs. I remember seeing airworthy ones for less than $5K (and maybe even less, I just can't remember that far back!)
I don't think there is another retractable as cheap, or ever was...even Navions are more expensive, certainly Swifts are. Face it, our planes scare many away ...fabric, wood, Franklin. Pretty scarey if you don't know much. Guess you just have to be nuts like us:)
A GOOD pilot report in one of the more popular mags might do something to encourage sales.
I have always been surprised that there has not been a Cruisair pilot report in any of the mags for years. I can't even remember seeing one. Oh there was one in Sport Aviation (in the 90's?), and that plane is for sale now.
As Dan said, it is a buyers market, and will probably remain as such for quite a while. I think that has almost always been the case for Cruisairs...not so much for 14-19-2. Unfortunately, if you want to sell your plane, I would think that you have to price it realistically. That hurts most of us! One than has to balance the cost of keeping it, vs. eating the loss. Not a nice choice!

This is a plus. I just received Vintage Airplane (EAA)March/April 2015 magazine. Budd Davisson wrote The Illusive Affordable Antique Airplane. He lists the Triple tails in the 30k to 50k price range. That is a step up in the right direction. Shows a picture of a 14-19 N6561N looking good. Lynn the crate :eek:

I predict that all used airplanes will jump in value if the 3d class physical goes away.
How many ads do you see "....lost physical, must sell."
Dan

I bought NC86916 for less than the price of a very modest used car. There were some issues with the trust that legally owned the airplane that took some time to resolve and although the airplane is in amazing mechanical and cosmetic condition, it had not flown in many years - these factors were clearly reflected in the final price. In my own humble assessment, the airplane is a toy, not a value or investment. That being said, I don't play golf or own a boat or Harley. For less than the price of a crappy used Harley, I have a toy that flies - albeit expensively. For the sake of my enjoyment and relaxation, the Bellanca is very cheap fun. And the other benefit of ownership is getting to know nice folks like all of you.

As our economy stagnates and the world becomes more violent and less stable, idiosyncratic wood wing airplanes will likely drop in price and marketability. But for those of us who enjoy them and can forgo other expensive ventures, there's nothing quite like owning and flying one of these magnificent little Bellanca's.

I was just looking through the Portland Craigslist and saw a very nice looking Cruisair for $17500. Low time 165,hydraulic gear, nice paint and said new fabric. 62 smoh. I havent seen this plane advertised on Barnstormers or the club site. It seems like a heck of a deal. Just another indicator of how prices are. ______Grant.

^^ speaking of the Portland plane,
before I bought my cruisair from Pat driscoll, I looked at the plane in portland.
Honestly, it's a dog. The fabric is decent but paint is cracking, fuselage tubes are bent in the belly, landing gear in bad shape, and the panel is an absolute basket case. Almost no instruments working, bad radio, bad transponder, broken guages. And the interior is a 3.
The only tripe tails that I see selling are in almost perfect shape. Everyone is scared of a project

It is interesting, the difference between the sellers description and a buyers point of view. It looked very good in the photo that I saw, but a 30 foot paint job doesnt show up in photos. I have heard that it has been for sale for a while. Now I understand why. _____Grant.

Sport Pilot has articles pushing affordable aircraft. Always the same Luscombs, Pipers short wing, T-crafts and the occasional Beech. I wrote both mags asking why in the world they didn't mention Bellancas. Got sort of a "my bad" answer back that didn't mean squat. At least the July/ August issue of Vintage airplane had a Cruisair on page 55. I'll bet well over 80% of the aviation community said: "What in the world is that? Some sort of homebuilt?"

Can't help but I just have to comment on your last Dave.
When I fly with my wife, she always laughs at the people who come out to look at our plane. It is usually "old guys in baseball caps" who talk about their past adventures with a Cruisair. She says it's like something out of the TV show "King of the Hill".
Whenever younger pilots (no gray hair) ask about it - yes they ask if it's a homebuilt. I then launch in to the history of Bellanca's until their eyes glaze over, or Susan kicks me and says "...let's go, I want to get there today!"
Since it is a major accomplishment to have her fly with me, I do get going, since it is actually cheaper to fly from Eugene to San Fran on Allegiant (they fly in to Oakland). I tell her that at least she doesn't have to take her shoes off when we fly, though that doesn't seem to be that much of an argument any more...When you measure the time it takes from leaving our house until we get to our son's place near San Carlos airport (SQL), we can actually beat the airlines if I do a good preflight the night before and load the plane, so all we have to do is a quick preflight, and get wx and plan before leaving for the airport. Still, one must always remember...time to spare -go by air. You can sometimes end up in (un)interesting places! But then that give you more opportunity to talk about Bellancas!

I have similar experiences to Larry, except I get the young linemen asking the same question too. It is fun getting the attention from fellow pilots when parked on a ramp full of SR22s and Bonanzas. Even better knowing I'm not paying Bo rates for parts ;). Sadly, I can't outrun those guys, but it is fun to surprise people with the climb rate available in the 260...

Back