Cruisaire window question.

Gary Brink

I have read the advice about not putting the original window in a Cruisaire but that is one of the things that attracted me to it... a window that actually opens enough to let in some cool air. Consequently, I want to put it back even if it means taking it back out again later. My question is about the aluminum window tracks. One of them has a rounded top and the other one does not. Does the one with the rounded top go in the front or in back?
I have had to replace quite a bit of the wood so now I can't tell which side it came from.
Thanks,
Gary

see my post on the Viking thread about making replacement pilot window.
it is very easy.

I will find the pictures and post them for you shortly.

Do read the HOW TO post.. and I will find pictures which will answer your question ASAP.

one nuance not in the post.. is to get a data sheet showing the acrylic you use meets the appropriate
milspec for aircraft, if you are logging this repair.

Renewing the felt is the most important aspect ( other than fit) to making the installation last.
Also note that most nuts will not clear the close fit at the top with the window closed on the top
metal / handle mounting. This can wreck your fabric.

Whole job wont cost $30.. and it is SOOO very worthwhile.. both for ventilation, and yelling clear prop..
you can actually see if the rudder and elevators are working, during your CIGARS check. Priceless. :D

Larry

Thanks, Larry. I did go on the Viking forum and read your post. The good news is I don't have the interior in my bird so working on the window will be easy. I still don't know which side of the window that the metal "slide" goes so I am looking forward to seeing your pictures. I'm not sure that you can post pictures on the forum so my email is garylbrink@yahoo.com.
Gary

Window pics are in a camera that I cant get back for a week or more.

But... I do remember that the bottom of the window is radiused on each side ( eg, rounded corners.)

So, the square ends of the metal go up and butt up against the top metal strips that the handles attach to,
and the rounded edges slide in the wooden slots routed into the frames.

If mine had been that easily acessable.. I would sand those routed grooves very smooth, apply a couple of light
coats of good varnish. Lightly sand that again if needed, and then consider lubricating with a light silicone grease.

I would NOT want any kind of grease or oil to get into the wood.

One of the weird things about this design is the stamped metal window "frames" supply the pressure to hold the window in place. So, how you install that.. and how tight affects the operation of the window - with FELT being a major player.

It is tempting to consider putting silicone oil or light machine oil on the felt.. but I resisted.
It requires two hands to shut my window.. and it cannot be done from any position except sitting in the pilots seat.

But, it does operate satisfactorily, doesn't leak when shot with a hose, and hasn't developed those big scratches over it's whole length - like the old one.

Hope you have the old window for a template. :)

The "runners" sandwich the plexiglass quite tightly. Mine were originally flush riveted - which naturally is where
the plexiglass cracked. Mine are a FRICTION FIT if I remember right. Perhaps I used a very small amount of ACE
hardware brand Clear High Tech Sealant.

At any rate, they aren't going to slip.

Back