Cruisair's famous funny fuselage handhold

planebones

How many of your planes have the famous handhold on the right side for ease of entry?

I am about to cover my plane & thought about welding on an outside handle ....is this sacreledge?

Any experience in how to do the fabric work that makes up the handhold.........?.

dreaming of Cruisairating soon........Ken

Mine has the handhold - works just fine. The fabric appears to be trimmed after covering and then sewn and recovered underneath the tube. The shriking of the fabric cleans things up.
I couldn't imagine a Cruisair with a handle - that sounds like a Navion thing.

Tim

Mine is as Tim's - a section of tube with a covering that creates a handhold. These are not original but they are a clever way to make something the aircraft could really use, Cy.

Jonathan

greetings!

N522A (1951 14-19) also has the "hand-hold" created by ducking the fabric under the upper right longeron directly above the trailing edge. very clever idea. i didn't know it wasn't original.

jonathan, how's your annual coming along? russ mentioned he was helping you get it down to oregon. mine's still at dan torrey's shop finishing the "tank-ectomy". rain & cold have prevented timely fabric work. REALLY missing my flying machine!! :cry:

keep in touch!

blue skies,
vic & N522A

At the risk of defying the topic, Russell flew it to Albany, Oregon yesterday....I had to drive due to some ongoing verification the feds need before they issue my medical. Nothing makes you miss your airplane as much as twelve total hours behind the wheel of a two dimensional vehicle :)

Jonathan

I just finished taping around my fabric/ longeron handle. I slit the envelope right where the handle protrudes, glued it up with Poly-Tak, and proceeded to reinforce it with bias tape and Poly-Brush. Worked out fairly well. With some ironing, it looks MUCH better. :D

IMO, it's not that hard to do, and it beats welding a handle all hollow.

I have a picture of NC74387 as an add flying over a church that say's the Decon has arrived and it has the handle built in. I have one on mine and if I didn't I am not sure I could get my fat ---- in the plane. I am trying to find the rest of my pictures to see if the handle is on any of them. We just moved into the hanger house and have not found all the stuff that has been stored for three years. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My two cents . I have no handle on my 14-19-2. It had been refabriced and never cut it. When I did my interior I found a fiberglass handheld cut out taped to the longeron where the fabric should be for the hand hold. It is a bear getting in to this plane without a step and handhold to get up on the wing. I bought a Viking hand hold thinking I could mount it like a super Viking -Wrong. I have to wait till I recover and then weld a bracket for the handle. I tried a good while ago to find how this was done on the Viking. Got no joy from the Boys with the Brains as to how this was done. So long term when and if I recover it is going to have a step and Viking handhold to get up on the wing.Lynn N9818B :shock:

It seems that the original 14 series Cruisair (the 14-9 Junior) came with the handhold from the factory, as a review in Air Facts, by Leighton Collins, states without ambiguity,

“Just above the right rear cabin window a small section of fabric covered longeron is left exposed, providing a more than convenient hand hold for going up the catwalkâ€

Back