cruise master wing jig

Bullockdr

Hi All...just about to cover my cruise master wings...I currently have them on modified harbor freight motor mounts for rotation purposes, but cannot rotate them 360 degrees due to the wing tip and an attach point...somewhere in the archives I believe Lynn had mentioned he had made wing jigs for his covering and painting, if you have pictures or drawings of those jigs Lynn I should would appreciate...I'm trying to stay away from using sawhorses...David Bullock #3295

Sorry Dave, that was 11 years ago and wood has since been used for other projects. I used light fabric one piece seamed on the bottom of the wing. Since it is all over wood use the min temp on your iron to tighten the fabric. The bottom of the wing is concave so excessive heat will pull the fabric from the wing. Keep in mind that once you have the min shrink, the fabric will be sealed to the wood and stay put. I have just one other thing to say here as I got hundreds of hours and 11 years on this job. I would advise to tape the fuel tank covers as they may shift about 1/32 in and this will show over time in the paint as a line. Use a 2 inch tape and that will not show. Lynn the crate

Thanks Lynn...I sure appreciate the advice...I'ts sure a learning process, and fortunately I'm still enjoying doing it at this point...David

While we are on the subject of recovering the wings, I have a couple of questions about the fuel tanks. I have just pulled the tank out of the left wing due to a leak. Found a sizable crack in the bottom surface of the tank (not on a welded seem), which Dan Torrey fixed up nicely for me. First question: is there any merit in coating the outside of the tank with some of that tank sealer compound? And the more important question is: how tight should the rubber cushion strips be in order to hold the tank in place but not cause too much stress as they swell in hot weather? I realize that's a subjective question but any comments are much appreciated.

When I pulled the tanks on Scott Thompsons plane, he had used Balsa wood to shim the tanks tight in place, I thought that was a light weight way to do it.

When I pulled the RH tank out of N6RJ I applied fuel tank sealant over all the spot welds, with the hope if they ever cracked again the sealant would prevent a leak.

Dan

On my old 14-13 the bottom of the wing tank cracked when the wing walk supports separated from the underside of the wing walk and put pressure on the tank, flexing it whenever you got in or out of the plane. Make sure the wing walk is ok when you put your tank back together.

And keep those supersized blimps from dancing up and down your repaired wing walk!
In 1946, the average pilot/owner weighed about 150 pounds. I just read that the "average" US. female is 165+ pounds.
Males are 200+ now. McD has supersized everyone.

I have the engine to reassemble, been working on other projects. I have everything ready for reassembly, 6 new cylinders, crank, cam etc all parts done by Aircraft Specialties, case reworked by Divco etc..

Then I will have it back for sale with a 0 SMOH, 260hp. Prop has about 350 SMOH.

Back