Cruisemaster Fuel Gauge Issues

mbrown

The fuel gauge readings on my Cruisemaster are at best not reliable. I would like to start with the sending units and work my way to the gauge (the gauge that is now in use appears to be a Stewart Warner automotive type.) and the gauge selector switch does appear to be working properly. If all 3 tanks are full the left tank will read 1/4 tank, the right tank will read 3/4 tank and the aux tank will read about 7/8 full. Does anyone have any suggestions for correcting this problem?

I had the same problem and replaced all three senders and gage witj generic units from Westec. I can now fly without timing my fuel as the gages work very well and I rely on their input. The best system would be a capacitive unit like a car but Bellanca has really crap wiring and accessiblity. Lynn :shock: N9818B the crate

The SW gages are still available from various sources including NAPA. So are the senders. The sender flange screw holes are indexed so they only install one way. The SW senders come in a left and right configuration but I am not sure which one we use because at least on mine they are the same on both wings. My wings had completely the wrong ones and were in back-wards and up-sided down and there was no way they could work and it is a long story. I ordered the universal senders from Spruce and the senders units on them are the same as on the new SW senders but the flange can be indexed either way. I just installed them last week and they look like they will work fine ( as soon as I get my ground on the left wing straighten out). The gage is around $40 and the senders are around $25. I did reuse my brass floats instead of using the plastic ones that came with the new senders.

Kevin

I plan to make trips that will require the use of nearly all of my fuel in each tank in order to have a 30 minute reserve at my destination. Are fuel totalizers worth the expense or should I just continue to fly by the clock. Which totalizer is best?

I had a JPI FS450 in my Navion and it was very accurate. I have an EDM 700 now in the Bellanca and plan to add the fuel flow to it soon.

Kevin

I have a JPI 700 with fuel flow for my O-470 powered Cruisemaster and I very rarely check my fuel gauges. The JPI total is VERY accurate. The small error that it does have is toward the conservative side.

Chuck

Back