Cruisemaster Hydraulic Pack Conclusions

Jonathan Baron

Although I don't feel much like posting at the moment, I thought it best to share what should have become obvious from the lengthy power pack thread: Electrol 750B power packs are no longer viable for overhaul for 14-19s, or for Cruiseairs employing O435 engines and the 750B packs.

1. Nobody is willing to overhaul them any longer.

2. Those who have the data on them will not share it due to liability concerns.

3. Changes in FAA repair regs - especially the provision that everyone who touches a part during an overhaul has to be an employee of an FAA certified shop - are serving to eliminate the practice of farming work out. As no shop can really stay in business by doing everthing themselves, the first to go are rare bits of machinery that required specialized knowledge and parts fabrication. This is simply a sound business decision. Most of us know all too well how close to extinction many shops are even if they're busy all the time.

4. The Electrol 750N will remain supported for the foreseeable future. The parts used in it are the same as those employed in power packs for Apaches and Aztecs.

5. Electrol 750Ns were originally created for Navions and there are *many* Navions still flying. The type has a good parts supply due to the fact that the military ordered a few along with a massive inventory of spare parts. Thus 750N cores will not become rare anytime soon.

6. By all accounts from people I spoke to in the overhaul biz, the 750N is a better designed and more reliable pack. I know many of you have had awful problems with them but all packs need to be overhauled occasionally, and not all shops do a great job. In short, every mechanical device ever created is subject to failure and I believe it's beyond dispute that a properly installed 750N in good condition would do no worse than a 750B in a similar condition.

Therefore: conversion to the 750N is the best answer.

In the course of having my 14-19 changed over, I'm getting drawings (I hope!) from Bellanca, along with a plumbing diagram. I plan to make the resulting 337, or whatever the FAA is calling 337s nowadays, available to the club. I hope this may save you all from having to do the missionary work from scratch each and every time an owner wants to perform this.

Here's to a future of landing gear going up and down when they should! :)

Jonathan

You should consider the "Armstrong" gear motor in a Cruisair :wink:
I KNEW there was a reason I didn't want hydraulic retracts in 392 (he said- having a coronary on handle turn 25) :shock:

I have turned a Cruisair hand crank the requisite 37 turns, DD, and I did not choose the 'Master over the Cruisaire due to the "convenience" of hydraulic power. I have never, for the life of me, understood why Mooney abandoned the Johnson bar, and I would love to have the manual flaps system you do. Any machine standing between the pilot and a gear or flap action ultimately is added risk, period. None of us are flying B-17s after all :)

The real problem here is regulatory. The later power pack was used in a model with an identical airframe and now has a long and proven history. That's an easier case to make to the Feds.

Long has there been a distinction between regulatory airworthiness and physical airworthiness. The gap only grows. It was too much for the patience of Clyde Cessna back in 1929 - the year he quit flying because of all the regulations. I'm glad he did not have to witness our times :roll:

Jonathan

Feds don't have a clue.
Case in point: We had a safety walkthrough in our building. They found two vacuum pumps with warm power chords (around 100 deg F). They made us change them. "What happens when we rotate these two pumps out for maintenance and two more similar pumps get installed in their place? Do we change the chords on them too? How about the other 14 similar pumps in the building?" All factory-installed power chords and certainly UL approved.

Crazy damn world sometimes... :?

Well, they opened up my 750B power pack that failed. This was done out of curiousity as they've already performed the conversion to an Electrol 750N pack. Ah...my old pack, though, failed in spectacular fashion. It made so much fine metal that the hydraulic fluid was reminescent of mercury. McCoy wouldn't have needed a tricorder to pronounce it dead - not run-out or in need of overhaul, but DEAD.

My mechanic speculated that the necessary valve was probably so choked with crap that not even had I succeeded in getting a full engine shutdown (prop coming to an absolute stop), the gear would not have budged. It took the prop impact to jar the thing loose.

Cutting the lines still might have worked, as this would serve to take the hydraulics out of the system altogether. Still...with only the springs to hold the gear down, I wonder how well the gear would have stayed in place during landing. Nonetheless, my Leatherman will be close at hand from now on whenever I fly.

I should have the 337 soon for the 750B--->750N conversion for the precious few amongst us who can make use of it.

Jonathan

Back