Darn! That time of the year. Need help with upcoming annual

kitepilot

Well, time is (surprisingly) going by and the moment for the (dreaded) first annual inspection of the little woody moth is approaching FAST! (4 months in the future).

Question is:
does anybody know a friendly and Bellanca 14-13 savvy A&P/AI near the TN/AL/GA border?
(that's near Chattanooga TN)
I'd like to be involved as much as possible on the annual for the conventional "save me money" wisdom, but also for the opportunity to learn better the "in's and out's" of the little moth.

I'm no help with Chattenooga, but I just survived my first annual, and very happily.
I opted for an independent mechanic who was close to home... willing to let me do as much
as possible under his supervision ( all the grunt work ), but who had no specific bellanca
experience.

This worked because I am much better than average "wrench", had restored an airplane in the
dim dark past, did my technical homework on the bellanca/franklin, and made it clear I
was investing in an ongoing relationship .

With recurring 25, 50, and 100 hour AD's, and lots of owner tinkering required, you
need to build that relationship, so he will supervise your work.

I hope you are have experience with motorcycles, cars, or some other kind of machinery.
In many ways airplanes more closely resemble motorcycles, than they do cars ( cable systems,
simple electrics, simple hydraulics, chains ! and carburetors.)

If not..good luck.... and yes virginia.. than you need a bellanca "expert"
and just hide in the bushes and watch.

Here's how:

1. Seek out a mechanic with a reputation for being inexpensive, but also particular.
the last thing you need is one of those guys who will "pencil" whip anything for a fee.
2. Make it clear you intend to do all the dissasembly and re-assembly... or at least work side
by side if time is an issue.

-N.B.- if doing all the dissasembly and re-assembly seems "scary" rather than "normal",
you will probably drive the poor mechanic nuts and make it cost twice what it should, rather than half.

3. Get ALL the manuals and parts lists... both for the airplane and the engine.

4. Read and Understand them... so if the mechanic doesnt know bellancas or franklins... and has a question
you can say the answer with a good degree of certainty... and then show it to him in the book.

For instance there are AD's that apply to 165 's that have nothing to do with 150's.

5. If you have found a mechanic who has his head screwed on straight - works independently, has a "can do" attitude
but will positively wont abide anything unsafe.. and is willing to let you work with him... then it is worth it to
go through the learning curve... to have him nearby and knowing your bird.

6. Set aside 3 or 4 days

7. Take your hand tools if you have them.

larry

Back