Difference in 14-13 and 14-19 Wings

jmay2174

What is the difference between the Cruisair and the Cruisemaster wings? What did GM do to increase the gross weight?
I've owned a 1947 14-13-2 for 20 years but I have never found what the difference is.

Thanks, Joel

Besides moving the controls inside the wings They also started using a thicker sheet of Mohogany on the 14-19. I don't know if they change the size of the spare then. I know they did when they moved the gear to the wrong side of the spare. :lol: :lol:

From the 14 series, all the way through to the latest Viking made by the current TC holders, the airfoil, wing shape, span, and wing area have remained the same. I *think* they went with solid spars rather than box spars beginning with the original 14-19.

This is one tough wing to improve upon, even though most pilots are horrified by the notion of wood, and we have to put up with all those termite holding hands jokes. G.M. was among the first to work the problem of laminar flow. Although capable of startling drag reduction, as evidenced by the North American P-51 "Mustang" and the Douglas A-26 "Invader" of WWII, the initial problem involved laminar flow wings' intolerance to even minor surface contamination. Thus, G.M. created his own airfoil to deal with the problem.

One of his employees was Al Mooney who helped out with the Bellanca Airbus I believe. When it came time for Mooney to design and build a 4 place airplane, the M20 series, he used a similar, tapered laminar flow wing made of wood: the M20A. Mooneys remain legendary for their efficiency, yet the M20A was the most efficient of the lot. Not many sold. Again, a wood wing was not a useful selling point. Wood rot became a major problem with the M20 - more so than with Bellancas. I don't know if this was a design problem (e.g. drainage system), material deficiencies in the resins and wood preservatives, or a simply matter of early Mooney owners leaving their airplanes tied down outdoors. As Bellanca owners we can draw upon a long history, and we all know you don't leave them outside. The Mooney M20 was a new airplane, appealing to a later day era of pilots.

Pardon that digression. I'll save the story of Al Mooney getting weathered in at the Piper plant for another day :)

As for the gross weight question, Randy covered most of it. They also enlarged the cabin, though I doubt that increased structural strength. Many aircraft gain a gross weight increase when the manufacturer increases horsepower. The 14-19-2 gained an additional GW of 200 pounds over the 14-19 and this was strictly an engine change with an appropriate cowl to match.

Few aircraft designs tolerate increases in horsepower gracefully. You don't simply add a heavier engine, but you also need to add more fuel capacity - a LOT of it. That's where a goodly chunk of the added GW goes. Finally, the handling approaches that of a school bus. Yet, from the Junior to the Viking, all Bellancas handle extremely well. What can you say? Our beloved winged machines were designed by a peerless genius.

Jonathan

Weathered in a Piper you say? You would think that would have convinced Piper to stay away from the Hershey Bar wing :D

Yes, Dave, but those fat, shapeless wings were seen as unexciting in the most important way: they made for one docile airplane. Still, as the legend goes, when Mooney got weathered in and had to take a train to NYC, some Piper people were more than a little impressed by the M20A. The appearance of the Commanche 180 not long thereafter could have been due to all sorts of reasons. Nonetheless the legend remains....as it should :)

Jonathan

Hmm, I think the Spars on on my 14-13-3 are solid, if I remember right, is that a mark of the -3 only in the 14-13's?

Glen

I also have a solid spare. I have replaced mohagony sheets on both the 14-13-2 and the Viking and the Viking has a thicker mohogany. If you take the leadin edge fairings off of a Viking and put them up against a 14-13 you will see the difference in the wing. I owned both airplanes together for a couple of years and then sold the Viking. I kick myself in the *** every time I see the Viking around. I should have never sold it. :lol: :lol:

My 74392's spars are also solid (1947). Perhaps this was only on the early 14-9, 12, and 13 :?:

Although I recall reading something about a box spar in the 14 series, either the article or my memory could render the claim as being utterly FoS :)

Jonathan

Back