Disolving Fabric??

Blackhawk

A little over a month ago I bought a 1995 Super D. Prior to purchase the airplane went through an annual from a shop with a good reputation, and a thourough pre-buy from a seperate shop with a good reputation (the mechanic was familiar with fabric). After purchase the airplane went to ACA to have the new gear put on, and they also gave it a once over. (On a seperate note, the ACA factory was great).
So at least three seperate mechanics looked over the airplane; and I crawled all over it, looking very closely at the fabric.
The other day while washing it I found what looks like corosion in the fabric under the left horizontal stabilizer. The total area is about the size of a large hand. It starts with a dark circle about the size of a silver dollar, then spreads out from there. It is rough to the touch and flakes come off if you run your hand over it. The tail is red, but this area is more of a dark maroon. Any ideas what caused this? It may have been there before, but that would mean at least three mechanics and two pilots missed it...
The only thing I used on the airplane was ph neutral soap; Pledge on the leading edge.

Is there and inspection cover there close buy that you can pull to look at what's behind this spot? On the matter of three mechanic's missing it , you can have a fourth look and he will find something that the other three have missed. Of course you are truly concerned about your aircraft and you will lot's of times find things your mechanic want find. My son is a mechanic and I help him a lot and I always enjoy seeing someone help with their annual. I always say the more eyes the better.

Woodie
N29763

No inspection panels near by. I did not mean to sound as if I was slamming the mechanics... after all, I missed it and I spent at least an hour just going over the outside of the airplane.

It sounds like a sealer that we used for a while back then. After several years it sort of acts like its too dry and makes what looks like aluminum corrosion (whitish powder). Obviously, its not because you have this on the Stab. You can see why we stopped using it.

Anyway, you have a cosmetic issue on your hands; so don't feel life threatened. As for what to do about it; I guess, either live with it or recover the stab. Luckily its not the fuselage.

Now, all this assumes its that sealer. If its not, void all I have said except for the cosmetic part.

Jerry-
Thanks. This sounds as if this is the case. I'll probably have it taken care of in the near future, but I was concerned about the short term air worthiness while I try to locate a good fabric person in my area.

Back