Do you fly with a parachute?

The "need" to fly with a parachute while solo typically triggers a good debate, but no one can make a good argument that it is a bad thing to do.

The difference in type (seat pack vs backpack) is more important than difference in brands.

In most cases seat packs work better in Decathlons. I am 6'3" and can not afford to give away the leg room a back pack takes away.

If possible go fly with both and see what fits best before buying.

Bill

Thank you very much! A local fellow who does some airbatic instruction wants all of his students to fly with one while taking instruction.

Having had egress training many times, and having flown ejection-seat equipped aircraft for many years, may I state that it is CRITICAL that you discuss emergency egress with your passengers... also, that you absolutely MUST practice it yourself, on the ground, many times, until it is an automatic action, without thought.

A discussion would include the command to bail out (what it is, such as "Bailout! Bailout! Bailout!" three times loudly.) The order in which the actions must take place... remove headset. Unbuckle straps; throw them behind and to the sides; jettison door; who goes first; how to get out; where is the D-ring; etc etc.

Discuss the PLF (Parachute landing fall). How to collapse your canoppy if you are being dragged. How to survive if you land in trees or water. There is so much to look into, research, and practice. Hopefully those with chutes have been doing that all along. If not, please do, it may save your life and that of your passenger.

I agree with Swede...all very good points. This is NOT something you can just gloss over. I would also think getting out of the back seat would take some practice. It's hard enough to get into and out of the backseat with zero groundspeed. Can you imagine trying it with an aircraft that is out of control?

Doug

Swede said it right, go over it, practice it and brief it well. The other aircraft I fly are fighter/trainer type Jet aircraft. Some with deactivated ejection seats so getting out has to be something you don't have to think about. I even have my passengers practice a couple times on the ground before a flight, to some this is creates a bit of worry but gives them confidence just in case something does take a turn to the south... chutes to me are a must during acro, especially is someone is with you. ( although I can't say I havn't done a roll or two without them)[/img]

I'll always use a chute if I'm going out on a dedicated acro session - with or w/o a passenger. I don't see why anyone wouldn't if they have a chute available.

I'm a big fan of the Softie brand, mainly because they are compact and allow you enough movement during acro. Like said before in the thread, it also depends on your seat arrangement, and what cushions are removable.

Although it's something to take very seriously, I was taught the rule of 3 asses to egress. I've found this has actually helped passengers take it a little easier during practice on the ground.

1. Plexiglass (canopy/door)
2. Harness (belts)
3. Your a$$ (You!)

Chris

Back