Does anyone else think this is strange???????

Ok, I have to go back a long way. We have owned two citabrias, 11865, a 7eca and 3233t, a7kcab. The first one was 3233t around 1980. We sold this plane to a guy who had just got his private ticket and he put about 60hrs on it before he stuck it into the ground killing himself as well as another guy.

Here is where it gets strange. I not only remember vividly the red and white sunburst paintjob but also the big white "N3233T" on the tail. I also have a pic of this plane showing the N#. I was doing some prowling around on the NTSB site and couldn't get anything to come up for 3233t, so I searched by the city. I figured I would get something this way as it is a small town and this would be the only crash any where near there, and there it was. The only trouble is it says that the # was N7543F!!!! Now I know that this is wrong so I did a little more searching and found that 7543f is still on a 7kcab with the same ser # that was reg. to someone in Terre Haute (about 20 mi away) in 85', the crash was 82'. Furthermore, 3233t is on a 7eca that it also not too far away. Now I can see the 3233t paperwork making it's way to someone's "project" but what I don't understand is 1)that after all these years, both the N# are close to here, 2) where did N7543F come from in the first place? And 3) seeing as there was NOTHING salvageable on that 7kcab, why would anyone buy it and register it. And after all of this, there is no flying citabria N7543F that I've seen around Terre Haute, and there are only two airports.

What do you think? Does this look strange to anyone else?

Dear Matt:

According to the FAA, N7543F is a 7KCAB s/n 282-70 with "Status in question" notation. This is also the same aircraft that was destroyed in a fatal accident June 1982. Could it have been re-numbered from N3233T before the crash?

N3233T is registered as 7ECA s/n 835-72 with airworthiness certificate issued in 1991. N-number change could have occurred at that time.

I have reservations about the N-number changes since they are not distinctive, but who knows?

Best way to clear this up is to purchase the aircraft records from the FAA for both N-numbers and go through them. Please post results here if you do so.

Regards,

It was 3233t right up till the time that it got a LOT shorter. I have no idea where the other # came from. I can see how the # could have been transfered but, it never was 7543F, not when we had it and not just a few months later when that report was made.

Back