Does anyone know the Cruisemaster for sale

Bernie Ferrie

Hi Guys,
Noticed what looks like a very nice cruisemaster on Barnstormers:

BELLANCA 14-19-2 CRUISEMASTER • $29,500 • FOR SALE OR TRADE • 1958 Bellanca 14-19-2 Cruisemaster for sale . 1200TT, 327 SMOH 54 hours since complete restoration. ICOM panel mount radio, transponder. 170 cruise, very fast airplane. Needs prop AD to satisfy Hartzell AD. Nothing wrong with the prop, just needs AD compliance. Prop has 52 hours SOH.

Does anyone know this aircraft and how much it would cost to replace the prop with a McCauly.To get away from the 5 year AD. Also does anyone know who would do a pre purchase inspection the plane is located at Livermore, CA USA.

Interested in your opinions of this aircraft as I am considering it.

regards

Bernie

Bernie be careful. Last year I did a Navion that needed the Hartzell prop AD. Sure as S--- Hartzell red tagged it and the replacement Hartzell was a mere 14K!! I think every prop Hartzell ever made was subject to an AD. Sure can't stay in the game at these stacks. So be careful :!: Lynn the crate

Wee O , I just received my latest issue of Light Plane Maintenance and Mike Berry the 1st class IA did an article on Pre-Purchase Inspections. In the article he does a 1946 Navion same as my couple have. It fails the prop AD and Mike says it is in excess of 20K for Hartzell replacement!!! OMG we got off cheap at 14K. Know when to fold them and walk away. Lynn the crate with a McCauley 8)

Thanks for the info guys.
Lynn - How much would a Mc Cauley cost to get rid of the Hartzell? Ball park figures would be fine. What I have read they are the same prop as a Cessna 180? Is that true.
I do like the Cruisemasters with the 0470 in them, but $20,000 for a new Prop just blows it out of the water.

rgards
Bernie

Bernie, the McCauley is used on C-180 with O-470K,L engine these are the early models. Mine was done by Weber and is a 2A34C66-. The problem will be finding one. Weber did the install and the 337 there is no entry in block 3 so they didn't need a field approval. This was done in 1981 when John banged it up. Lynn the crate :roll:

about 18 months ago I went looking for a McCauley replacement for the Hartzell on the -2 that I had at the time. I found Santa Monica Prop here in Southern California. The prop listed in the Bellanca TC is obsolete BUT, they can assemble a replacement. Not the same exact part number as the TC but acceptable since they're basically an extension of the manufacturer. As I recall, the hub was identical to fit and function of the original, the blades were cut-down units resulting in the same blade specs as the original. Certified Zero-time prop with no ADs. At the time they quoted around 7.5K. Apparently this is the solution that early Cessna 170 guys have when their props go bad.
The real trick is finding the approved spinner. I had found one at a different Prop, shop (I can't recall the name) - they quoted me $600 but shortly after sold the -2 so I didnt need it anymore.

Back