Door hardware

NJP

I’m looking for a top door latch for my 1946 Cruisair. The plastic cylinder sheared, so it can be operated from the inside but not outside. Photo is attached. I know they used different latches over the years.

I will look at the doors I have. I don't think that is an original latch for 14-13. It looks to me like a piper upper door latch, if that's the case they're about 40 bucks each. take it apart and post picks of the shaft hopefully it's not off a Commander TC112 or a TC114. Mike

I've attached a photo of the sheared plastic pin. I don't want to remove/dismantle the remaining mechanism until I have something to replace it with or a new pin. I guess I could make a new pin out of aluminum, but that's another project.

None of the 14-13 doors I have in my hangar have this type of door latch at the top of the door. It looks somewhat of a Piper design, without seeing the entire shaft assembly it's hard to tell.

Mike

I agree that it's probably a Piper part. I found a lot of similar used items online, but people are asking $300-$400 for them. That's not going to happen. My plan is to take the latch off at a convenient time and manufacture an aluminum part to replace the plastic one. I have three latches on my door, top (inside/outside), shoulder level (inside only), and the door handle (inside/outside). The broken top latch works fine from the inside. I just can't latch it from the outside, so it's going to stay there for a while.

Back