Door hinges

tejasflyr

I have problem with my door hinges. on my 58 14-19-2

The door seemed to be loose at the hinges and sags so that it has to be lifted to properly close with the latches aligned. The sag appears to be coming from the hinge pin area. I can move the door up and down on the hinge where the pin is. So it appears that the clearance between the pin and hinge is too large.

I took the door off. The hinge pins were AN3 bots. I am not sure if this is correct or not. An AN4 was too big. I suspect that it is just from 60+ years of wear and the the pin should be an AN3 or maybe AN26 clevis.

Does anyone have any knowledge in this area.

Years ago I took the hinges to my machinist friend and he installed a small bushing for the AN 3. This has worked fine for years. Lynn the crate

Thanks Lynn, I might have to do that. Did you need bushings for the airframe and door hinge parts? Or just the door side?

Just the door was all I needed, I also ran a bolt through the lower hinge for more rigidity. I have had trouble with that door over the years. A p---poor design. The trouble I had was it loved to pop open after a time due to vibration etc. I ended up solving that by tapping a set screw through the latch so I could adjust the friction. That worked and as it wears I can adjust the set screw to tighten the latch. Right now I'm over my head into hydraulics. The power pak needs overhauled after 32 yrs. Lynn the crate

Back