Drawings for MLG on 14-13-2

artL

Does anyone have reproducible copies of, or can anyone point me to a source for detailed drawings of, the main landing gear assembly on a 14-13-2 ? I have the airplane on jacks and the struts will not extend on their own. Whacking the wheel/tire assembly with a rubber mallet does the job but that wouldn't work so well in flight. Before I go tearing into the gear assembly I'd like to know what I'm likely faced with so anyone with knowledge to share would be welcome.
artL

Art,
I have run across this situation before......
You will have to disassemble the lower part of the gear leg. I hope you have the airplane on a good set of stands, as you will partially retract the gear...and it may stay that way for a while.
With the gear halfway up, remove at least one end of the torque link, the brake hose from the brake assembly and the gear compression cable.
With some effort, you can pull the lower gear assembly from the upper. See how much fluid is in the tube you removed. I'll bet little or none.....Clean and mike the sliding part of the gear tube. Up at the top, it should be 1.848." Now mike the bottom, 1 to 2" above the end of the machining. Check for roundness, too. If it is .010" or more worn or pitted, I doubt it will hold fluid. It's time for a "hard chrome" job.
Now, pull the lower bushing. It is threaded and will take a special spanner. Mike the inside diameter.
When new, there was about .005/.006 clearance from that earlier 1.848" figure. If there is more than .020 clearance, it time for a new bushing.
Now, pull the chevron packings. I'll bet they are old and stiff....kinda like me in the morning...hahaha.
and that is why you first took notice of your problem. There's a washer at the top of the chevron stack. Don't lose it.
I didn't mention it earlier, but inside the lower gear leg, there is a tubular spacer and a coil taxi spring.
On rare occasion, the spring can break.

A year or so ago, I gave Robert Szego a complete list of blueprints for the 14-13 series that are available from the Smithsonian. I'll bet there's an assembly print for the landing gear in there.
It sounds like a hard job, but it is not.
Good luck
Dan

Dan, thanks for the input. Part 1 is done as I had a machinist friend make a custom set of jack pads that cradle the cross tube and wing attach fittings - no slippage or movement allowed. I'll get to work on the rest of it intermixed with holiday priorities. Thanks again, artL

Years ago I had the same problem. It WAS the seals too! In my case it was the O rings (mine doesn't have chevrons). Replaced with correct size o rings fixed the problem.

Dan & Larry, your inputs are quite helpful. Since the struts were serviced about 25 cycles ago and there have been no leaks, I suspect dry seals are not part of the problem. I haven't taken anything apart yet however I did clean the strut and check dimensions - the strut is clean, round, chromed and 1.847 dia. both top and bottom. I ordered an adjustable pin spanner wrench and will back off the lower bushing to see if the slight loosening will allow the strut to extend under its own weight without leaking. I have a hunch that the bushing may be over tightened based on other findings throughout the airplane. Thanks for your feedback. Keeping my fingers crossed...
artL

Yes, a half turn or so may help.
I have also found that "Granville strut seal" helps keep the packings soft.
Dan

Back