Electric boost pump mod for 14-19-2

planebones

I am repairing my 14-19-2 which happens to have 5 fuel tanks, which looks like a recipy for a fuel starvation incident. I would like to install an electric fuel pump with a field approval or? Does any of your -2's have an electric pump? I could install one inline with the wobble pump, but that could cause additional restriction in the system when it is not in operation. thanks Ken

Ken, you might want to make contact with Lynn about the electric fuel pump idea. He has one in his -2 and wrote about it a few months ago. If you search on "fuel pump" you will find his post and some other discussions about electric pumps. You might also contact Dan C as he has some experience with the electric pump in a Cruisair. Keep in mind that there is no STC to my knowledge covering such an installation - this may or may not be an issue for you... Rob

thanks Rob....I appreciate you guys. I can't find the post you mention. My idea is to install a pump in the lines from one of the main tanks and mount under the seats. I would modify the check list to take off and land on that tank with the pump on and maintain at least 1/4 tank in that one. The wobble pump could stay in the system. In case of a flame out you would return to that tank and turn on the pump. Is there anything wrong with that thinking? After flying Mooneys for 25 years my brain likes the idea that on take off and go around plan "B" is already functioning.

Fundamentally it seems like your idea will work. You really should make contact with Lynn Ford (lwford) - he is a frequent contributor in the forum here and you could send him a PM directly. Trust me, he's the guy with a ton of knowledge and experience.

Back