engine analyzer/fuel computer

msiler

Does anyone have either of these two itmes on a 14-13
There does not seem to be any that are STC'd for us but I can't be the first to want it.. If you have it please post who made it and what model it is. Our FSDO is less than helpful and won't do a field approval unless someone else already has.

Thanks in advance

Ok that is the model my IA found but he said he checked with JPI about the EDM-700 and it only applies to 17-30,no
14-13 or 14-19s.
Do you have a copy of that or anything
thanks

Also how do you like it I am not familiar with it enough to even know what all it does.

I don't know why they would say that. Here is the STC that covers it.
http://www.jpinstruments.com/AML_EDM-700-800.PDF
I have oil temp, 6 probe EGT and CHT but not the fuel flow but you can order one with it.

Kevin

I have the JPI with 6cyl EGT and CHT, carb temp, and fuel flow options in my 14-19-2. I don't have oil temp. I love the fuel flow function. I use fuel remaining rather than the fuel gauges ( I don't really trust either). When I gas up, The JPI proves to be about 1-2 gallons on the conservative side.

I have owned other fuel totalizers, and you can adjust the "k" factor so it will be right on for fuel flow and total. I can't speak for the JPI unit, but would be surprised if one can't.

I should mention that 6 cylinder cht, egt's are great for injected engines since each cylinder is individually fueled and things can happen. On carbureted models, I have trouble understanding the advantage of knowing what each cylinder is doing on a moment to moment basis. There are less expensive models out there that can be changed with a little selector from one cylinder to another. the good thing about the jpi is that it gives you an digital reading rather than a dial indication (analog) which makes it easy to get your engine to exactly 50 (or whatever number you chose) degrees rich of peak for leaning purposes. with my dial, I suspect I am always running my engine to use an extra gallon per hour. A quick calculation will show you how soon that would pay for an accurate instrument

As I have a 14-19 with its original O-435 cylinder smelter, I have to pay attention to CHTs too damned often. I have the old fashioned gauge that allegedly monitors the hottest cylinder. Given that I don't have fuel injection I figure a six cylinder monitor would simply let me know if, indeed, the hottest cylinder was the one I'd been monitoring all along.

Jonathan

Back