Engine Driven Hydraulic Pump

Rob58

This question is for my friends that have experience with the 14-19-2/-3/-3A engine accessories. Our type certificate identifies three different engine driven hydraulic pump options: Pesco 1P-677; Eastern 1235HBG; & New York Air Brake 67B025. I’m planning to exchange my Pesco pump for a rebuilt unit which gives me the option of trading for a different unit. Wondering if anyone has an opinion on who makes the most reliable pump?

I found some dragons here...

I used to have a Pesco 1P-677 pump on the -3. When the engine was overhauled, I sent the pump to QAA for overhaul. The core was shot (not surprising, it looked pretty rough and there was no record of any work on it). There was some confusion about the pump, because Bellanca used a CCW variant of the pump, and they don't have an overhaul manual for the CCW variant. Their mechanic was also pretty down on the CCW pumps and their lifespan. Of course, the pump went 2800 hours and 57 years, so how bad could it be? Anyway, if you're going to overhaul the Pesco, be sure the shop will deal with the CCW variant before you send it in.

Unfortunately, I didn't know this until after they red tagged the old pump and sent me the wrong pump (a CW model). In QAA's defense, they made it right and sent me a New York Air Brake (Stratopower) 67B025 unit without a new core fee or upcharge (the Statopower's more expensive). Only problem was that it requires a banjo fitting to make the right angle out the back. Dan Cullman came through with part numbers; you need (1) AN776-5, (1) AN775-5, and (2) AN901 Aluminum O-rings. It took some searching, but I found NOS AN775 and AN776 on the internet, and Spruce still stocks the AN901s.

Can't speak for good or bad, but the Stratopower has worked well enough the last 50 hours. QAA had good things to say about the Pesco when it spins right and the Stratopower. They did not have good things to say about the Eastern, and the Eastern is expensive, even compared to the other two.

Brian, your feedback was exactly the kind of information I was hoping for. Thank you for taking the time to share these details. I too have been confused about the CCW variant of the Pesco unit, which I assume refers to "counter-clockwise" rotation. I questioned whether the CCW version referred to some internal gears in the pump because it appears to me that the shaft is turning in the CW direction. From what you describe I am assuming that the Stratopower unit is longer, thus there was no room for the AN fittings. I will give QAA a call and see if they have an exchange price for a rebuilt pump. Thank again!

Rob, the Pescos seem to last (as seen by mine making it almost 60 years), so if you can find someone to work on the CCW model (QAA is not that place), it doesn't seem like a bad way to go. By the time I figured out the CW/CCW issue, it was too late. QAA had scrapped my pump and sent me the wrong one.

I think the Stratopump is actually a bit shorter than the Pesco. It was easier to get on the engine, anyway. The Pesco has those two rotating plugs in the back so that you can use a normal pipe to flared 90 degree fitting and use the plugs to adjust the angle of the 90 fittings. The Statopump just has a pipe fitting on the back, so you need the banjo fitting to be able to set which direction the hose exits the back of the pump. The Stratopump also has a hose on the side (rather than both being on the back), so I believe I needed to get a hose of a different length to make everything fit. I had replaced all the firewall forward hoses 4 years ago, so that kind of sucked.

Russell Williams found a pdf of the overhaul manual for the Stratopump somewhere and I have a copy. If you do go with the Stratopump, PM me your email address and I can send you the pdf.

Brian

Back