Engine mounting bolts and windshield trim

gfhawker

I remember reading in a previous post that some/one of the engine mounting bolts was or needed to be installed head down on a 14-13. I am having trouble finding that post. I have just installed the engine in my airplane and had no trouble installing all the bolts head up. Does anyone know of a reason to have one or more of the bolts installed head down?

Also, with regard to windshield trim, can someone please share with me pictures of the entire frame around the windshield of a 14-13? I am working with a disassembled airplane that may or may not have all the parts with it and I just need to know what I am missing or not. I plan on installing the windshield next week. The pics can either be posted here or emailed to rtod@voloaviation.com

Thank you in advance.

RT

You must put the engine on the mount without cylinders installed. You cannot install/remove the left rear bolt with #1 cylinder on the engine.
The windshield is installed with countersunk machine screws to the boot cowl. Countersunk wood screws are used along the sides and top. The junction along the sides and top are covered with 2 inch tape.

PS. Remember to drill the holes in the plexiglass slightly oversize for expansion and to avoid cracking later

Dan,

Actually I had no problem getting the bolt installed head up on the left rear bolt, but I just realized something. The way that I did it was to slide upper the rubber bushing up the shaft of the bolt before installation and the bottom rubber bushing was sitting on the mount, allowing me to install the bolt on a slant. All of this was done with the engine removed and hanging a few inches above the mount. I'm glad you responded as such because I now realize that I won't be able to use that little trick with the engine installed and all of the other bolts installed and torqued. It will only work with the engine hanging above the mount a few inches, so just in case I need to just remove that bolt I will change it's orientation to head down.

As far as the windshield is concerned, it appears on my airplane as there is a recessed area along the sides and top that the windshield sits in, thus making it flush with the fuselage. My airplane actually has sheet metal fairings for the sides. I don't see a fairing for the top though. I received this airplane as a project so it's possible the fairing existed and has gone missing over the years. My thoughts are to make a top fairing and forgo the fabric tape. Any reason I should not take that course?

Thanks again to all.

Cheers.

RT

I plan on sealing the entire installation with pro-seal, a product that we use to seal windows and windshield in our corporate jets. Pliable and extraordinarily durable, and when applied carefully and with masking tape makes a beautiful thin, black line around the entire circumference of the windshield. Very clean and professional looking. I've used it on my Twin Bonanza and it looks great.

RT

Back