Exhaust system gaskets.

Gary Brink

I sent my entire exhaust system to Dawley Aviation in Wisconsin for restoration. The system is beautiful and looks like new. (Most of it is new.) However they do not have the new gaskets and were unable to tell me where I can find them. Any suggestions where I can find new exhaust manifold gaskets for a Franklin 150 hsp? :?:
Gary

I should still have some if you can't find them anywhere. The ones I use are stainless no blow type..Greg

Greg, If you want to part with a half dozen of them, just put them in with the fuel pump and let me know what I owe you.
Gary

Larry, I didn't know about the VW connection. I tried a couple big box stores for these gaskets and they tried to sell me a whole gasket set for the upper end. I finally found a repair shop that had six in stock. They matched just fine with the NOS Franklin gasket I had in my pocket. The outer edge was a tad wider - that's all. A set of six cost $ 7.00. Dan

Dan, I am pretty sure that Gene Hamilton told me about them.

The following should be on a new thread, but...

Gene also told me about using O rings for push rod seals on the 150. I have been using two Viton 208 o-rings. ID= 5/8 in. OD=7/8. They have worked VERY well for the last 1000hrs. They don't leak, the are easy to install/remove, and are cheap!

As I recall, the 165 had two different types of seals. Real Gasket use to have two different part No.s for them. They used the 150 seal for either the upper or lower (I can't remember). It was the orange Real Gasket color. The other was black. I noticed on RG's web site:

http://www.realgaskets.com/files/horizontal.htm

that they just use the one type now ( the one that is the same as in the 150).

I think Gene said you can use Parker V0884-75 for the 165, but am not absolutely certain...considering the price, if you want to try it, it is not a great expenditure.
Larry

Umteen years ago, My friend and former roommate, Gary Murdoch, was the tech adviser for the SW. Stinson Club, told me about those viton "O" rings. One piece of advise he had that I'll always remember was: "...that if you reach under the cylinder with your forefinger and thumb, grasp the pushrod housing, and can twirl the housing, the packings are old and dry and the source of you oil leak.......or will cause an oil leak, shortly. Dan

Larry Lowenkron said:
Dan, I am pretty sure that Gene Hamilton told me about them.

As I recall, the 165 had two different types of seals. Real Gasket use to have two different part No.s for them. They used the 150 seal for either the upper or lower (I can't remember). It was the orange Real Gasket color. The other was black. I noticed on RG's web site:

http://www.realgaskets.com/files/horizontal.htm

that they just use the one type now ( the one that is the same as in the 150).

I think Gene said you can use Parker V0884-75 for the 165, but am not absolutely certain...considering the price, if you want to try it, it is not a great expenditure.
Larry

I just did mine on my 165, was easy and did a good job, Suzanne from Franklin Texas sent them to me. orange silicone type for the cylinder head and larger black ones at the crankcase. It was really worhted, the old ones were all dried and leaky. They are different size. Larger at the crankcase. While I was at it, I changed the oil pan one, valve covers, fuel pump and crankcase top cover. And got the starter overhauled so changed this one as well. Had to slide the engine forward on the mount to do this , starter wouldn't come out without doing this and same for oil pan, carb bracket bolt were right against the cradle. so changed the engine mount rubbers too. Should be a bit drier now...

Back