Fabric Care

emansour

I just bought my first fabric aircraft, a 7GCAA and was wondering what products to use to clean bugs off after each flight and other products/ techniques to use to clean the plane. Thanks!

Eli

Lemon Pledge for bugs on leading edge and windshield. Simple Green for most everything else.

Ron
advancedtailwheeltraining.com

Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner yes, the Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner you find at your local Walmart or hardware store no. The non-aircraft version has the potential to accelerate aluminum corrosion and as such should not be used on airplanes. Yes, I realize our airplanes are mostly covered in fabric with steel tubes under the skin, but why risk it getting where is shouldn't.

Paul

I recognize that is almost a given, but it is wrong. Regular Simple Green does not differ in formula from Extreme Simple Green other than the dilution.

Several years ago I contacted simple green to ask why the rumor existed that their product should not be used on aircraft. The company representative opined that they(the company) had tryed to find out the origin of that rumor but couldn't. The best that they could come up with was that there was no mil spec for their product therefore people thought that it was harmful. He told me over the phone that the "aviation formula" simple green was the same as regular but was diluted with about 10 times the water.

I have been using regular formula Simple Green on my 7ECA for over 7 years. I dilute it 1 part SG and 10 parts water. Never had a problem.

Ron
advancedtailwheeltraining.com

Copied directly from the Simple Green website FAQ section:

"Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
...The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes."

"Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner and Simple Green® Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances. "

Eli,
I use a garden sprayer or spray bottle with plain old water. Wet down the bugs and let them soak a minute or two, then I use a nylon mesh backed sponge (or nylon stocking to wipe them off. I dry up the water with a chamois. The trick is getting the bugs off right away.

My wife and I landed in each of the lower 48 states this past summer. We flew about 190 hours and did the above for about 15-30 minutes at the end of each day. The airplane was as clean when we got home as when we left (ok, maybe not the belly..........).

Happy wiping!

Bill

Back