Fabric replacement on bottom of aircraft

dwmmg08

I love flying my Crusair!

Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem on the bottom of my Cruisair, in that the Razorback fabric on the bottom of the fuselage is separating right over a keel that runs the length of the fuselage, in the back, in several places. It appears that it's been patched before, but that hasn't fixed the problem. I'm thinking of having the whole bottom basically recovered, with razorback, but my mechanic has suggested basically changing tactics and and installing a (thin) metal covering on the bottom of the fuselage only, which would then be removable for inspection, sort of like the old stc metalized coverings you see on some Stinsons. Since that's where all the oil, etc. goes, that doesn't seem to be such a bad idea, (painted to match, of course) but has anyone else done or seen anything like that?

Glen in OK

Seems to me no matter how well you cut it to fit, moisture will still seep in between the aluminum sheet and the chrome-moly tubing. Eventually it will start to rust and then, my friend, you have problems! :shock: The Stinson STC covered the entire fuse with aluminum so you didn't have a transition between fabric and aluminum. If you do decide to go this route, I would suggest using fabric tape over the aluminum/ fabric joint which kind of negates any chance of removing the bottom skin without some repaint every inspection.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Your covering change would have to be "covered" by a 337 so run it by your local FSDO.

Back