Factory Visit

bookmaker

My wife and I drove our camper to Oshkosh last week and were amazed at the overall event. While there I attended a High Wing Bellanca session moderated by Jerry Jr. I think I became one of his newest thorns in the side. :eek:) Having an early bird, many of my questions are difficult (or impossible) to answer.

After hanging around the American Champion displays for a while, we decided to visit the factory on the way home. Dale Gauger gave us a thorough tour that we really enjoyed. It was interesting to me to see the fuselage jigs that MY 1965 Citabria was formed on 50 years ago. (and as I understood it, all Champs, Citabrias and Decathlons since 1946).

Everyone there was really nice and we asked a lot of questions. I even bought something. Not a new Decathlon unfortunately, but an upper door latch. My early Citabria doesn't have one.

If you ever get a chance stop by there, it is a real treat to see the tooling and and talk to the people to put pride in their work building (or restoring) our planes.

Dale

The fuselage from the baggage compartment aft for the post-war (11 series) Chief was welded in that jig also, it continues to add to a very impressive lineage.

Tom-

Looking at the B-CC home page I see that there was B-CC representation at AirVenture in the Vintage Hangar. Sorry I missed that before being at the event. I would have stopped by and said hello.

Dale

Back