FBO of the Reek

Jonathan Baron

I don't know how many of you guys get AvFlash email, or read the AvWeb web site, but lately it's been bothering me.

They have a feature, FBO of the Week, where readers submit names and descriptions of some FBO near Olathe where the people are soooooo nice. The implication, as we all know and have experienced, is that many FBOs suck. I want to seek that suckage featured.

You know what I'm talking about. Those places where you have to listen to some bored guy in the office shout "Joey?" for 20 minutes over a handheld radio with the broken squelch circuit, trying to summon a guy who's actually named Fred (Joey works on Tuesdays) to fire up the fuel truck.

Those places where the vending machines have Toastchee with expiration dates corresponding with the early years of the Reagan administration. Those guys behind the counter who get pissed off when you tell them the toilet is overflowing. You'll see that same guy on the ramp later when you've reminded him that you need a jump and he spits tobacco juice on your shoe.

Those I-hate-my-life-and-I-hate-you places that will not so much as loan you a funnel for 30 seconds so you can pour Aeroshell 100 - the only oil they have - into your engine. They sure as hell won't pour it in for you, and the guy growls that never "loans" out anything because some jerk flew off with a funnel back in '73.

When the soda machine eats your money, the gal behind the desk does not pause her 20 minute conversation with her BFF to tell you the machine doesn't work. When she gets off the phone she never turns her head your way or makes eye contact if you're standing right in front of her when you ask her to refund your six bits. You already know the answer to *that* question: "I TOLD you. The machine doesn't work!"

Need I mention the La Brea tar pit coffee? The red, hot water nozzle that doesn't work if you want to make tea from the Lipton tea bags, packaged in paper yellowed by cigarette smoke. And what about that place where nobody's there but there is a phone number to call if you want fuel....and the person who never answers the phone when you call.

I want these dark holes of general aviation featured. Yeah, you couldn't use their real names, but I bet AvWeb's virtual mail sack would be stuffed with glowering nominations. They could use fictitious names, like Wretched Air, or Foxtrot Uniform Aviation.

It sure would be better than those oh so funny "Heard on the Air" features each week.

Nominations anyone?

Jonathan

Jonathan
I started a list, but after the tenth page I changed my mine. I have read with much interests in another post of the death of General Aviation as we knew it. Along with most people too buy trying to make a living, maximum security airports of today, a lot of people that can afford airplanes I don’t want to associate with, shops just verily hanging on and not being able to hire competent A&P with what they can pay, fuel at an average $4.50 a gallon, must I go on????

I started my flying career in 1970, in CA, things were going great guns. Went back home, lived my dream of owning an operation of my own, for 16 years. Went on to fly a job that I loved and was sad to retire this past Dec. Over a total of 38 years I have seen the wounding and the loss of blood, from the front lines. I believe there is still a heart beat but it is getting weaker.

You are right about the FBO situation. I started mine as a base for a aerial spray business, on an airport located practically in a small tourist town. I DIDN’T WANT A FBO. When I finally walked away and went on to my second career after 16 years we had a full service FBO, (if the motels were full we could always get you a room) a shop, (I and our mech. were away spraying the editor of a green colored avmag of the time had aircraft trouble wife pulled his plane in the shop and helped him fix it enough to get on his way) flight school ( many of my past student have went on to aviation careers) scenic flights (we hired commercial pilots out of the local AirForce Aeroclub gave them civilian time for when they got out)
Our growth was do completely to SERVICE. A lot of times all you got out of it was a new friend. (And a write up in the Green Sheet calling us “The friendliest little FBO in the west.â€

To be honest, rather than facetious, Monty - I don't even remember the names of the worst places. The great places...they're still out there, there's just fewer of them because there are fewer FBOs period. It wanted to cry one afternoon when I landed at a little Midwest strip...and not because the grasshoppers rose in a cloud on final and pelted my little Luscombe with bug goo.

The signs on the sole wooden hangar/FBO had not been refreshed with paint since the '50s. The nearby diner was nearly full at 3PM with local farmers as this was dinner time for them. As I ate my splendid, hearty meal I knew I was seeing ghosts, for certainly all around me would vanish utterly in just a few years, just like the aviation spark plug and lubricant signs on the old hangar had nearly faded away.

Hours later I suddenly wanted to turn my airplane around and head back there. But I was afraid - afraid that it wouldn't be there, afraid that it had never been there, that I'd imagined all of it.

Jonathan

wish we all could just talk about the great places we've flown to like tinkiller air port in OK when Mary Kelly and husban had the place with great stories a let yourself in to make coffie in the morning after you camped out under the wing. A hot shower great stories what a great place for a short field course in my old C-140 my frist plane thats what I miss the most, the good times of avaition. I still have the passion although subdued by cost and regulation. Lets not talk about the bad lets all remember the good so maybe our grand kids may still have a chance at this great adventure we all know has flight.

I don't remember the bad ones. But I do remember three years ago showing up in Cairo, IL about 15 minutes ahead of a line of thunderstorms, my foxhound and I come flying out of the plane to get her tied down before the winds start. Next thing I know, the guys in the FBO have found the dog some food and water, invited me and the dog inside, and fed me some great sandwiches of some sort. Which made diverting 75 miles off my intended course and waiting through storms in the middle of nowhere totally worth it.

Ditto! I miss Jonathan B. He came to BTP years ago and I have pictures of our Bellancas. Red and Blue. Lynn :(

View attachment 1

Click on pictures for full size; Back arrow on browser to return.

Dan, A French Bellanca,how did that happen? I assume the taxi springs are the main gear leg springs. I have a set (2) if you need them. They are the correct height. Lynn the crate :eek:

mhackens, Where are you based in the Black Hills?

The Viking group took over Custer a couple years ago for four days. This was a cowboy BBQ so the non-meat eaters are not shown.

2dj9nus.gif

We do have an outstanding FBO at Chino CA (KCNO). The owners bought the name Flying Tigers from FedEX and have built a FBO based on that era. The main owner (a pilot) used to design Warner Brothers stores and his talent was not lost on designing an FBO. Let's face it the bar was set pretty low in that arena.

When a plane pulls up to the pumps the fuel ladies run out to you plane chalks in hand before you even shut down. The fuel island and entire FBO have a WWII theme with 40's music playing over the speakers. We have to be the only airport in the US with a machine gun nest.

All this and when they opened they forced the other FBO's to lower their price. First .50 cents then $1 a gallon.

http://flyingtigersaviation.net/flyingtigers/

2j3hbpc.jpg

2lb18r6.jpg

They also have a cute little fuel truck that comes to the hangar but getting fuel at the FBO is half the fun.
2v7wetz.jpg

Many years ago a guy named Hal, at the Santa Rosa, NM airport was kind enough to put my PA-22 in a hanger, take my dead battery to a local garage to be recharged and me to a motel to be re-energized by a good nights sleep and then pick up both the battery and me in the morning. I'll not forget his sincere care and effort. For years I would go fifty miles or so out of my way just to buy fuel from him at KSXU. Sadly the locals in charge sent him packing.

Once, while passing through Cedar City, I bought gas from the self serve. Then, when we sat on the wheels of our Cessna to eat, the line guy from the FBO there offered the use of their picnic table. Afterwards, when we were passing through, we would pay a dollar/gal. more to help keep them solvent.

In San Angelo, TX, we pulled up to the self serve and before I could get to the hose a lineman ran out, told me his name was "self" and started filling the tanks. We rented hanger space from him for the night.

There so many stories like this that I can relate......easily as many positive as there are negative. I've now stopped using self serve and always try to keep in mind the FBO's are there for us and need our business to survive.

Slow response from me.......I've been buried in a recover job. I haven't responded to the request for springs,
yet. I had about five pair of new springs made a year ago and now I have two sets left.
I'll ask about the Cruisemaster when I send a message.
Dan

Russell told Spartan Jim the guy who bought Johnathan's -2 e-mail is: fvandentorren@orange.fr Lynn

Back