FCC and the 121.5 ELT

crumast

An article in the latest The Aviation Consumer mag says the FCC has shot down any approval, production, or servicing of the older 121.5 ELT's. The article indicates that includes battery replacement. This is as of Jan. this year. Fortunately, I put a new batt. in my EBC-102a in Dec. So, in two years I need to have a 406Mhz-capable ELT installed. Has anyone done this to a low-wing, without sticking an external antenna onto their pride and joy? So far, I've been able to bury every antenna on my 14-19.

I'm not going to jump on this yet, but I'll need to address it eventually. Tom Robinson

Not sure if anyone has done this before, but I am in the process of installing an Artex 345 in the rear fuselage and mounting the antenna adjacent to it inside the fuselage. In reading through the regs and the install manual I can find nothing that prohibits this and I am confident that the 406MHz signal will radiate just fine through the fabric.

I was advised that a 337 must be filed so it might be consider a major alteration. Additionally the installation must be registered with the NOAA giving them some details about the aircraft and who to notify once they find you. I am still investigating all of this. Here is the excerpt from the Artex install manual:

B. TSO C126b, Paragraph D
1) TSO approval of the ELT does not constitute installation approval. All ELT installations are subject to field approval for a given airframe by either an approved FAA DER or FAA FSDO. For installations outside the US, contact your local civil aviation regulatory agency for details.
2) The remote switch is a requirement of TSO C126b and installation is mandatory.
3) The buzzer is a requirement of TSO C126b and installation is mandatory.
C. FAA
1) This manual constitutes supporting data, as described in AC43.9-1, Paragraph 6.h.(2) and AC 43-210, Chapter 2, Paragraph 201(a)(6), and as such may be used as support for FAA field approval of the ELT installation.
2) In addition to the procedures outlined herein and in accordance with FAR Part 43, the installer must adhere to the aircraft manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations and the guidelines provided by FAA Advisory Circular AC 43.13-2 “Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices - Aircraft Alterations,” specifically Chapters 1 through 3, 11, and 13.
3) By signing the aircraft logbook and FAA Form 337, the installer is stating the installation has been performed in accordance with current FAR requirements and the procedures outlined therein. The completed Form 337 is provided to the FAA and also becomes a permanent part of the aircraft maintenance records in accordance with AC43-9, Paragraph 17.

Here's the warning:
WARNING: FAILURE TO REGISTER THIS ELT WITH NOAA BEFORE INSTALLATION COULD RESULT IN A MONETARY FORFEITURE BEING ISSUED TO THE OWNER.

Back