Flap Interchangeability according to the Factory

leadsledfan

While on the phone with the Factory in Alexandria, I got the chance to spend some time to talk to Randy (the wood expert).
According to Randy, the flaps from the 14-19 all the way through the Viking are the same, and interchangeable!
The changes through the years were the following:
The Flaps are essentially identical from the 14-19 through the Vikings in the Early to Mid 60's. These are the two attachment point flaps (One hinge on each end).
Sometime in the early to mid 60's the Factory added a 2nd spar to the flap, a "False Spar" meant to prevent the flap from Bowing Out on deployment. Some of these flaps have 2 attachment points, and some have 3.
In the late 60s through the end of the Viking Line, a 3rd attachment point was added on the flap, but the end attachments remain the same. According the Randy, the 3 attachment point flaps can be installed on the earlier 2 attachment point Vikings and CruiseMasters. Neato!

So essentially, the Flaps are all Backwards Compatible, which is somewhat helpful for us CruiseMaster owners, as it gives us a larger supply of parts to pull from.

Also, the Ailerons are also the same (According to the Factory).

Maybe this is common knowledge, but I was under the impression that the flaps were of varying dimensions.

For the Cruisair owners, sorry, but your flaps are different.

-Adam

I had 2 sets of flaps from 14-19s and when I sold them the buyer pointed out that the construction was different (1 extra spar) on one set. They did look stronger, but I would think the middle hinge would give better strength than the extra spar. Both would be good, but adding the middle hinge would be easy, where rebuilding (modifying for the extra spar) would be almost impossible. Didnt the flap speed improve at some point in the Viking line? Probably from one or both of these changes. Just my thoughts. _____Grant.

The flap speed on my '58 14-19-2 is a very slow 86 mph. I think this is the same as on my earlier '46 14-13-2.

Adam, good info - thank you for sharing your new-found knowledge. Here are the flap extended speeds:
14-19: 86 mph
14-19-2: 86 mph
14-19-3: 100 mph (probably has the extra spar)
14-19-3A: 120 mph
Vikings (all): 120 mph

So it would seem like the extra spar gets you an extra 14 MPH, and the third mounting point gets you another 20!
Good to know!

Back