Flaps and Hydraulic Powerpack

JackFulford

Hi All,
I need help and I am fresh out of ideas. My flaps don't seem to be operating as designed. Here are the key points
1) When flaps are cycled with the engine running below 700-800RPM, everything functions as I would expect. I put the flap lever in the down position, hydraulic pressure gauge goes to about 500-600psi, flaps deploy. When fully deployed hydraulic pressure goes to 900-1000psi, flap lever pops to neutral, hydraulic pressure goes to zero. Again with the engine running below 700-800RPM, I pull the flap handle up and everything works the same way as the flaps come up.
2) When the flaps are cycled with the engine above 800-1000RPM not so good. If I put the flap handle in the down position, Hydraulic pressure immediately goes to 900-1000psi and the lever pops back into neutral. The flaps have barely moved. This happens whether the flaps are going up or down.
3) If I hold the flap lever down with the engine above 800-1000RPM the pressure gauge goes to about 1200psi and stay there as the flaps deploy. When I release the handle the pressure goes to 0 and the flaps stop moving. Works the same way with the lever in the up position.
The things that I have tried so far have not changed the operation as described above and include:
1) swapping the restrictor that sits between the power pack and the flap actuator for another
2) Cleaned the restrictor
3) Removed the little filter elements from the restrictor
4) Removed and cleaned all the tubing between the power pack and the flap actuator.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? It has been functioning this way since it was overhauled 2 years ago by Pieffer (I know, my face is red.... )

Jack

don't know diddley about the system.. but is there a spring loaded pressure relief valve in this system..
and if so could that spring be weak ?

blimpy said:
but is there a spring loaded pressure relief valve in this system..
and if so could that spring be weak ?

There is, and if that's the problem, it's more likely to need adjustment than just being weak. But adjusting it by "feel" isn't advised, better to have proper test equipment.

Personally, I find that functionality on the flaps to be more trouble than it's worth especially on the flaps-down side. I've seen guys push the lever down and due to the detent holding the control, way over-extend the flaps. The ensuing scramble to re-aquire the handle and raise them back up to the intended position is a distraction at a time when it's undesirable.

Jack, it sounds to me like the problem is in the power pack. Get a hold of the Piper Aztec power pack drawing. It is the same as the Bellanca but set to a different pressure. I had mine apart years ago and replaced some seals using the Piper breakdown. Never had a problem with it again. Everyone wins once in a while. Lynn

Is this the thing you guys are talking about ?
( as you know I've got a cable system so know nada )

Back