Flight control cable tension

crumast

I've been trying to discover some numbers for tension on the aileron and elevator cables on the 14-19. All Alexandria has are numbers for the 17-30( about 19 lb for the ailerons and 31 for the elevators.) My guess is that the numbers for mine don't exist. Does anyone have a better guess? Tom

Tom, The 14-19 Manual just states to set the cables to proper tension. You will find that in AC 65-15A Airframe handbook Chapter 2, Assembly and Rigging ,Fig. 2-64/65. You can't go wrong here and it all depends on the Temp. If you need a copy of 14-19 owners manual I can do that as I got mine from N.A.S.M. archieves in D.C. I own a 14-19-2 and it's manual states the same thing. LYNN N9818B the crate :roll: :roll:

You wouldn't want as much tension in the aileron wood structure. The empennage cables are all supported by metal control surfaces, so 30 lbs makes sense to me.
I take it I can use the same tensions on my little Cruisair?

Dave,
I used the numbers provided by Alexandria on my 14-19, and they seem to work. No reason to think they shouldn't work on a 14-13.
The numbers quoted to me were: ailerons, 19lb(+4,-2); elevators, 31lb.(+4,-2). The rudder and flaps are spring pressure. Tom

Back