"Flutter" in roll

Blackhawk

While performing rolls in my Super D I have experienced some "flutter" vibration from about the 70 degree to about the 120 degree position. It occurs while rolling left and right. It occurs on both sides, 70-120, then 250-300. I thought nothing of it until I was flying with an aerobatic judge. He did not notice it until I mentioned it, then he was concerned enough for us to knock off and head home. He has not not flown Decathlons in about 12 years (he's been flying Pitts and Yaks recently), so he can't remember that vibration and admitted he does not know if it is normal or not. It seems to be about the point that the rudder starts to act as an elevator. Is this normal? If not, any ideas? The fabric in that area is original, 1995, but in very good condition. No obvious looseness in the rudder or anywhere else in the tail.

i agree with mike, if you are slow. give us a little more to work with. are you doing ballistic rolls,slow rolls,snap rolls, or what? also give us entry speeds being used.

It turned out to be the loose nut on the stick. :roll: I was over controlling the rudder during the rolls in an attempt to keep the nose straight.

Back