'Flying Avocado" Chinese Tail Wheel Tire - $ 195 from Desser

blimpy

Took all the info I could get off my tail wheel assy and tire - then called Desser.

They offered me a 3" x 8" Chinese Tail Wheel Tire.. no FAA /PMA approval and not even a maker's name
for $ 195. !!!

Seems like a lot of money for a $6 glorified wheel barrow tire. I forgot to ask about the inner tube !

Desser had no way ( or interest) in x-reference from my tail wheel type.

Guy's name was Avo as in avocado.

Nuff Said.

---
My Tail Wheel Info:

Left side:

Hayes B-3-166
8" type 2

Right Side:
Shinn 200 .. 6.2 .. 4-41
load 1200 lbs

Tire Markings:

Wersja 1

Nr. 126

------

I am guessing from this info that the tire actually is 8 inch diameter.. and maybe 3" hub.

----

The Bellanca Parts manual is wonderfully sketchy.

---

I cant see paying almost $ 200 plus shipping, for some crapola non approved tire probably intended for some other use
besides shuttling humans down a runway... like training wheels on a tea-cart .

discovered that the ryan guys were using Kenda tires at ~$ 20 a copy.. probably made for mobility scooters or similar.

that 2.5x 3 size no longer made by them.

guess who bought up all the tubes from Kenda--- yup Desser !

So my guess is Desser did a 'walmart" went to the maker with the molds ( Taiwan ?) got them to continue production of the tire and are now selling it as a "tail wheel" tire for $190 instead of $20.

And we wonder why general aviation is dying ...

Moral of the story.. when you find anything that fits... buy a half dozen.

What my tire says is Wersja 1... which I guess means Warsaw.

Posting info as separate topic.

Larry, When I saw your plane recently I did notice the tailwheel. It had a "just right" look to it. It was larger than the 14-13 standard solid 6 inch wheel, about max for the smaller 14-13 fork. I was interested but forgot to ask.

BTW, The 14-13 series Type Cert. is under CAR 4a. There is no requirement for an approved tail wheel under CAR 4a. So, a nicely made homebuilder delight by Matco, etc could be used. I was interested in their 7 inch pneumatic tire and wheel - it would be close to your setup for size and ride. I may still go that way, but have overhauled my Scott 6 X2 solid for now.
r

Back