Folding Bike

shipchief

Do any of you put a folding bike in your Cruisair / Criusemaster?
What fits?
Do you put it in the baggage compartment, or do you have to put it in the back seat?
If yes to the above, is the bike any good once you get where you're going?

I have an old folding bike I bought at a garage sale. It was made in Italy and folds in half. One speed. It is a tank to ride but fits in the back seat. I have no experience with the newer bikes. I did buy a go-ped which fits in the back seat and as long as the road is paved, it is decent transportation for short trips.

I have one of the Montague bikes. It is a full size mountain bike when unfolded. I folds up and fits in a 12X24X36 in bag. I am not sure if it fits in the baggage compartment of my cruise master or not. It is a great bike and doesn't' weigh a lot.

Scott, You can buy folding bikes from $ 100-$2500+. I like the idea of carrying in the luggage box, away from pax and upholstry. If you put a bike in the rear seat, it must have a bag or you risk road dirt and grease. You saw the bike I brought back from Taiwain. It was fairly expensive, at $450; but, it is all aluminum, strong and folds to 30"X 8 X 8". It weighs 18 lbs. Dan

I just got a Dahon Mariner D7 from a local Craigslist ad.
This the anticorrosion boat version of a common 20" wheel model; the Vetisse.
It has a rack on the rear, and the bike folds to the side, typical of Dahon models of this size.
The official height of 25" is greater than the measured 24" height of the door to 9800B, but with the seat & post removed, the bike fit right in and the door closed with at least 1/4" to spare.
If I didn't care about scratching, I can add the older Dahon 16" wheel folding bike sometimes known as the Busboy, or "folder". It would be a tight fit to get both bikes in there, but maybe a devider and some carefully placed baggage?
The Mariner rides very well, has a 7 speed derailure gearset, and is fairly stiff.
The older bike is much more compact when folded, but it is harder to ride, and is a bit flexible. It has a Sturmey Archer 3 speed gear hub, and limited rider weight.
I think we'll bring them to Columbia.
Yes, I'm planning to go. The Dispatcher at work was able to give me all 3 days off! :D

Just a follow up on the folding bikes:
Marilyn and I responded to a Craigslist ad for another Dahon bike, this one a Mu XL in Portland Oregon.
The seller met us at Hillsboro airport with the bike, which we bought, and put behind the pilot's seat. We then continued to Roseburg, then Columbia. We had the Dahon Mariner in the baggage compartment.
At the Columbia Fly In, we used the two bikes to carry the grand kids around town, and between the hotel and the airport.
Instead of tired and complaining 4 and 6 year olds, we had fun. While Peter and I attended the Bellanca clinics, Marilyn & Amy rode the kids into town to check out the Stage Coach ride etc.
The Dahon Mu XL has a Shimano 8 speed gear hub, which is very clean compared to a derailure. That's a good thing, as the Mu does not fit in the baggage compartment. The folding mechanism is just a bit too long, and the door won't close.
I suppose that would be a problem, but the Mariner was already in there, and is too wide to accept another similar bike. The Mu XL fit just fine behind the Pilot's seat, and still left room for our flight bags and our Jack Russel Terror (sp intended)
The newer Dahon folding bikes are much improved, and options like hub dynamo lighting, clean hub gears, and luggage racks big enough for grand kids make a big improvement.

Back