Franklin 150 hsp data plate

Gary Brink

We are applying for a Certificate of Air Worthiness but I can't find where Franklin hides the data plate on the engine. I need the Model and serial numbers but can't seem to locate them.
Gary

Gary, they were on the lower side of the case on my 165 cases, and sometimes I have seen them on the starter cover. Next time I go to the airport, I will check on mine (150). You'd think I could remember after all this time...guess the CRS is kicking in.
LL

OH, I also remember that when I sent my cases in to be NDT'd, I did remove the data plates because they be damaged during the non destructive testing...hmm!

Early 150s were (I believe) all on the starter cover that comes out over the top of the engine. Later 150s and 165s were all on the side of the case, I think on the right hand side about mid point, front to back. If there is no data plate, the serial number will probably still be stamped on a boss, on the right hand side of the case. Might take a flash light and a mirror to see. Franklin didnt make things easy for us. _____Grant.

The man who owned the plane prior to me die, his wife threw away "all those old books". I never found the data plate but the numbers that I needed were in the engine log book from the guy who overhauled the engine for me.

I bought a hard copy of the history of the plane from FAA. I believe the CD would still have the same information wouldn't it?

Yes, it should, but I think that when you make a records reuest, an actual human has to manually pull the records and either copy them or scan them into a pdf. Have you looked for the number where Grant said it might be? I wonder if Grant may have a data plate on an old case? Grant???

Yes, I looked at both the starter and on the engine. It is very difficult to see anything on the engine. When I put my mirror on the bottom of the starter I could see a data plate so I thought I had found it although it was upside down and backwards in the mirror. I took a picture with my cell phone of the mirror but when I enlarged the picture on the phone, I could clearly read Eiseman. :-(. There were two plates on the starter and neither were for the engine. Then I found the model and serial number in the engine log book. Too bad I wasn't smart enough to start with the log book. It is because I have no original log books that I have completely stripped the plane and it is as close as it can get from the day it rolled out of the factory
In 1947. I did add disc brakes, wingtip strobes and an encoding transponder as well as bucket seats in front. I received the new oil cooler yesterday and I expect I'll have to do some modifications because it is quite a bit smaller than the original.
Gary

Gary, if the data plate was on the STARTER GEAR COVER you would look at the top of the engine and it would be bent around the top of the cover. It is the part that the nose of the starter slips into. Look closely for 4 small rivet holes that might indicate a missing plate. Ask your re-builder where he got the engine number from? I bought a blank data plate from Greg Lucas several years back. He had some made, and possibly he could still have one. Just some things to try. ____Grant.

I'll check to see if there are rivit holes. Obviously, there is or was a data plate when my engine was rebuilt but I can't ask Tom about it because he died from the big C.

Back