Franklin discussion.

gjordan

There is an interesting thread going on, over on the Stinson Yahoo Group concerning Franklin parts and the factory asking what modifications people would want if the 150/165 went back into production. There are interesting ideas, and lots of opinions, but very little on timelines or prices. There was the statement that replacement parts were arriving from Poland. Rings, bearings, valves, etc. That is good news. There is talk about the factory doing a model of the 220 downgrades to 195 HP to be compatible for the 92 octane fuel that will be here some time soon. The Yahoo format is awful compared to this forum, so it makes it difficult to follow, but to anyone interested in Franklins, it is worth suffering through it, or maybe people with better computer skills can figure out how to use the format with better luck. I just thought our Cruisair group would be interested. ______Grant.

like to see what's being said, poked around on the web --
which Stinson site on Yahoo?
and which forum thread?

Thanks for calling our attention to this. When the rains come in ernest, and I am slowed down on the
resto/repair project.. I will take a gander.

More Parts Availablity is Marvelous.. ( buy 'em while you can).

What does the Franklin Need to be that it isn't now ?

A. Common.
B. Common
C. Common

Our biggest problems are not engine design (except for being low compression and fixed timing, and carbureted)
same as continental..

.. but all have to do with public psychology regarding parts availability, and a Poor Reservoir of Skilled Repair Personel. The public is more or less right. Franklin is a Boutique Engine. Like Ranger or Radials, all of which are also easy to service if you have the parts and the know-how. IF.

All aviation is shrinking, and the notion that ANY engine, that isn't common now.. will become common
is pretty thin. Only Rotax 4 strokes have accomplished this in recent memory.. but with a big market to serve and very relaxed rules.

If the factory or anybody aftermarket can get approval for Solid State Ignition with Timing Advance, that would make a big improvement in efficiency and power.. as a "no brainer" bolt on.

The same can be said for computer single port fuel injector replacing the carb.
Great simple bolt on improvement.

( But, it aint never happening ).

Could the engine be brought into the late 20th century with high compression, fuel injection ( even single port), solid state ignition, and turbo charging... and the latest metallurgy for No Lead fuels.. sure.

Would there be a market it for it.. vs the less complex 4 cyl Lycomings.... that every body already knows how to service ?

Not so you would notice.. except perhaps repower a small fleet of antiques.

The only market of any size is Experimentals and Light Sports (and LS is not that much).
We essentially don't count.. except in somebody's fantasy.

I love my 150... glad I was able to do a top overhaul so easily, and for no more than a continental.

Will I see one in a new Cirrus or a 350K Skyhawk. hardly.

Back