FRANKLIN HOARDERS........REPENT

planebones

It looks like the crankshaft on my 150hp is toast. I am building a 14-13-2 with kids as a volunteer "Buildaplane" project & would like to find a good engine or good Frankenstein parts for 150 or 165 hp.

I am keeping the secret whereabouts of 3 Cruisair fuselages (no wings) ...we could all help each other instead of fighting with each other on e-bay for parts.....or not?

Ken McCune...... :)

I love the subject line, Bones :)

Perhaps we should start a similar topic in your case: Cruiseair Fuselage Hoarders....Repent :lol:

Jonathan

Ken, I feel your pain. There has got to be someone, somewhere willing to help. Have you tried the airplane wrecking yards? A core maybe? What about the Franklin rebuilders out there? I'll. keep my eyes open for one

On a similar note...Anyone have an Aeromatic propeller spinner and back plate?

Pete Nadon

Pete,

Regarding the Aeromatic spinner: I noticed on Kent Tarver's Aeromatic website that he located someone called the Spinner Man. This cat, Al Detrich, supposedly has over 3000 spinners/backplates. Kent sent him pictures of typical Aeromatic spinners. You may want to email Al Detrich at: dmf@pvtnetworks.net, to see if he has anything.

There was a spinner/backplate out on eBay a couple weeks ago, complete with a trashed Aeromatic. I have not seen too many of these for sale but stuff pops up for sale every so often.

Good Luck!

Gary

There was a guy around my place saling a rebuilt 150 not too long ago. But this is near Montreal Quebec, not very close to you. Want me to check it out if he still has it? I think the price was right.

AS a matter of fact I have 2 crankcases and one of them has a crankshaft and pistons. Some assho...dropped that by my airplane and left a note saying '' I had these hanging around my place, maybe still good...''
But I have no idea of the condition. They sit by my airplane in the hangar. Want them?

gemme a call 450-424-8678
Alain.

Thanks Gary, I've sent an email and am awaiting a reply. I'll let you know if I am successful. I'm sure there are others here who could use one. Thanks a million.

Pete Nadon
Aztec, NM

Ken:

Are you still looking for a 165 frank, and possibly an Aeromatic prop.
I may know where one is. The Engine and prop were both low time and where brought back to NEW specs when overhauled. As if I recall correctly he was asking about $7K for the engine, not sure about the prop. If there is any interest I will see if I can dredge up his information and give him a call.

Marty

Dear Marty & fellow Bellancophyles: Yes I am still intersted in an engine, any leads and contacts would be appreciated. I contacted a friend who has a couple of aeromatic hubs but no blades or spinners if the hubs would do anyone any good.

Ken 307-699-0087

The guy I need to talk to will be back mid week. I will get a phone number for those interested in the Aeromatic and 165 Frank.

I know it is a heavy case engine, and the prop is a H model high altitude version, that supposedly works perfectly.

Hope this helps someone,

Marty

His number is (205) 477-6342. He has (or had) a mess of Franklin parts.
Does McMinnville, TN still have a Magnaflux department?

I called Harvey and he does have a mess of Bellanca and Franklin parts. The prop is not freshly overhauled and he is not sure he wants to sell it yet. I did ask him to call me if he decides to sell it.
He does have a lot of Franklin parts he wants to sell.
Kevin

Ken:

I have some pictures from Mark that include the 165 frank and prop. So if you want them, and would like to see the engine, I can forward them to you with an email address.

Marty

Tarver still has my Aeromatic prop, but on his webcite he says he has a pile of the smaller hubs. There isn't much value to the hubs if you don't have the blades. He is looking for the 250s?? (The larger ones)

I for one am VERY glad K. Tarver is producing blades. Hope to get my hub "bladed up" in a year or two.

I always thought it would be interesting to experiment with the Aeromatic. One idea was to make paddle blades for it or maybe cuffs like a P-51 prop to cool the Franklin just a little more on climbout.
Just have a feeling there's more thrust to be had from the Aeromatic :eek: It's really an interesting design :)

Hey Marty......my e-mail is mcbears@tetontel.com I would like to see those pictures when you get time...

I had kids help me install the interior in my Cruisair, so I can at least sit in it and make engine sounds....maybe its time to get a real engine. thanks Ken

Ken, watch not to put too much spit inside your windshield when making engine sound!!! :lol:

Alain.

This is my first post here, so I should introduce myself. My name is Richard, I live in Creswell, Oregon, and my thing is Aeronca Champs. I've got one that flies, 2 to rebuild, and another for parts.

I'm not a hoarder, but the guy I got this stuff was. I've got most of a 150 hp Franklin, and parts of another. I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I've measured the crankshaft, and it is 0.010 under on both the mains and rods. It might polish, but it might need to be turned. There is only about 0.001 runout on the flange, and about the same on the center main.

So my main question is, what's it worth? Should I have it yellow tagged first? Cash is great, but I also need an O-200 crank and/or an O-235-C crank, so I'm open to trades as well.

I've also got 2 150 cases, which I think are the "light" ones, 3 cylinders, rods, valves, a starter, pistons, eiseman mags, and so forth. All of this stuff is "as removed." I've got photos if anyone is interested.

Richard in Creswell

Hi Richard: I drove through your town last month, I'm an Idaho spudbilly. A transaction happens when two fools meet....a fool for asking it and a fool for paying it. My son is going right by your house next week....we should talk.....307-699-0087, mcbears@tetontel.com......Ken

We ought to put all of our Franklin stuff in a big pile & scrounge until we find complete engines.

Back