Franklin : Starter bearing oil seal ? Reluctant spin ?

You might be right about a starter OH. When I had my engine overhauled, the shop put the starter back on as was. It was too pooped to spin anything. An overhaul was just the ticket. Tom Robinson

Before spending hard earned cash on the starter make sure none of the connections from the battery to the starter are loose/corroded. My Franklin suddenly stopped cranking when a cylinder came up on compression. I checked the wires after cranking and found I had a connection at the start solenoid that had come loose and got hot. Tightening up the nut fixed the low torque problem on the starter. Don’t forget the ground connections as well.

Ralph had a good preliminary suggestion.
If this doesn't work.....
Remove the bendix/cc vent housing and remove the nuts holding the starter. As you pull the starter out,
rock the bendix end upward and you should be able to complete the removal.
Any decent starter/generator shop can o/h this unit. Polish or cut the armature, new brushes and bearings. The parts book in auto parts stores used to have listings for Franklin engines!
Dan

If you leave the gear up you get a nice doorbell buzzer sound; but not as nice as a Bermuda Bell. :roll:

Back