INCHES USG
5.4 18.4
4.5 15.8
3.6 13.2
2.6 10.5
1.6 7.9
0.7 5.3
0 3.6
(My data is in mm and litres so sorry about the uneven numbers)
usual disclaimers apply

Thank you very much, I'll make one up and give a check to confirm with my plane.

Much appreciated,
Sam

It definitely will NOT work in a Scout because the wing dihedral angle is significantly different for one thing.

Also, a note with the 8KCAB, any small ground slope will alter the dipstick reading because of the small dihedral angle although in my experience the total of both sides is pretty good. Then you have a little more in the fuselage header tank.

I checked my plane this weekend by filling the tanks (21 gallons required) and using the full data point (6 inches at full - 40 gallons) then plotting a line between these two ponts and determining the slope of the line (gallons / inch). The data is little different than what has been posted. The differences are probably due to things like; level of floor where measured, air tire pressures, landing gear condition/ configuration etc. This will never be an accurate measure, but is a common method of checking tanks and should serve to give a pretty good approximation of fuel in tanks. This is provided for discussion purposes only, and there is no guarnatee of accuracy or reliabilty of this date, and as with others, All Disclaimers apply; Here's what I got with my plane (1995 8KCAB);

6.00 inches 20 gallons
5.55 19
5.10 18
4.64 17
4.19 16
3.74 15
3.29 14
2.83 13
2.38 12
1.93 11
1.48 10
1.02 9
0.57 8
0.12 7

Hi Bob,

Use a paint mixing stick and paint it flat black.
With your tanks 1/2 full or less, dip the tank and make a mark on the stick.
Fill your tanks, and dip it again, make another mark (full tank mark)

Measure the distance between the marks. Divide the number of gallons you put in to fill the tanks by the measured inches between the marks (Gallons / inches).
For example, if you put in 10 gallons and that was 2 inches on the stick, you have 5 gallons per inch or looking at it the other way, you have 0.2 inches / gallon.

You can now mark your stick from full down every 0.2 inches and consider that to be 1 gallon of fuel. I cut a small notch on the edge of the stick at each gallon mark and also labeled them with a paint marker. So far, its proven to be reasonably accurate for my plane.

Sam

Sam
Sorry to poke you on this nearly 8 years later, but I have a question. Are you assuming that both tanks are identical or did you make a dipstick for each tank (or perhaps mark then sides of the stick differently for each tank)?

Thanks
Jim

Back