Fuel measure?

tdicke

Does anyone have any information on how many gallons of fuel equal how many inches in a 7GCBC fuel tank? If i wanted to dip my tanks how could I convert inches to gallons? Suggestions?

Can't help with the inches-gallons conversion, but I just bought a Universal Fuelhawk/11" Fuel Gauge from J-Air Inc (ordered it from MyPilotStore.com). I've used it to gauge fuel when still visible in the tank, and it is 'spot-on' for those measurements. The only problem is when the fuel is less than about 9 gallons per tank (2x18g tanks), the sample tube can't be used, since there is no fuel under the fuel cap (remaining fuel is aft of the cap).

After measuring and noting their (un-related to quantity) scale, I refueled the plane to find how much had been in the tank. I then used a digital label maker to overlay the OEM scale to show the #gallons I know is equivalent to the scale. (E.g: Their scale at the 3.25 mark is 10 gallons.)

Hope this helps.

Omar

I am working with the same issue with my 65 7ECA. The previous owner says it has the 39 gallon capacity, but I have never put more than 24 1/2 gallons in it at a fueling. Last time out I flew it until the gauge was bouncing between empty and 1/4 and not knowing its accuracy, I headed down quickly.

I stuck the tank with my little sticking tube and it came up to the '1' mark. That is when I had 24 1/2 gallons added. Based on what was stated above, I guess I do have the 39 gal capacity. I still would like to graduate my sticking tube for gallons.

I am not sure if my local FBO can de-fuel the tanks, but even so, I guess I would have to lift the tail to get all the fuel out. Or maybe siphon out the rear of the tanks.

Dale

In regards to a 1974 7ECA with 35 gallons useable, the graduated marks on the 11" Fuelhawk universal stick equate to what number of gallons? I like to mark the stick. At what intervals or at what marks are those gallons? Thanks

I have a dipstick in my possession for a 7GCBC, the measurements are as follows and unconfirmed:

1 5/8' = 10USG
3 7/16" = 15 USG
6 7/16" = 19 USG

This stick was used on a machine with a stock gear and 6.00X6 wheels.
Measurements other than full will obviously depend on the angle at which the airplane is sitting and will vary with wheel and gear heights? My practice has always been to start with an empty tank and make my own calibrated dipstick.

Thank you for the info. I was hoping to find the easy way out. I have 8.50 tires, so I will drain the fuel and start from there.

Back