Fuel Pump Gasket on Cruisair

McCruisair

It seems to me that I have seen a note on the fuel pump Gasket on the Franklin 150 in my Cruisair 14-14-2, But haven't been able to find it. Does anyone have information on that...appreciate it
Miike
N86744

Franklin Engine Service Bulletin No. 48 addresses this:

"We have received reports of high fuel pump pressure on some 6A4-150-B3 and B31, engine installations as used on the Bellanca Cruisair. Investigation of this condition shows that with the use of two standard gaskets, part no. 10360, between the fuel pump and the engine mounting bracket, the pumps we have checked developed pressures within specification.

Maximum fuel pump pressure, measured with an accurate gage, should be 7 1/2 psi and minimum normal pressure in level flight is 3 psi and under certain operating conditions pressure can be as low as 1 psi with satisfactory opertion. In the event you are experiencing excessive fuel pump pressure, beyond 7 1/2 psi we suggest that you order two gaskets, part number 10360, and we will send them to you at no charge for installation. (GOOD LUCK!!!?) For your information, we have C.A.A. approval on the use of two gaskets each 1/32" thick..."

The bulletin goes on to describe how to remove the fuel pump. Hope this helps! Larry

Larry Lowenkron said:
Franklin Engine Service Bulletin No. 48 addresses this:

Thanks for the reply on my fuel pump..I am getting about the Max. pressure, but not exceeding it. I had changed out the old one because it was pumping fuel into the crankcase. I knew that I had read something on the gasket, but couldn't find it in when I looked.

The TWO gasket solution was used before the pressure relief valve was intalled as Factory equipement and suggest as a retro fit in Service Bulletin #23 But was made into an AD

BELLANCA:
Applies to Models 14-13, 14-13-2, 14-13-3 Aircraft, Serial Numbers Up to Number 1584.
Compliance required as soon as practicable, but not later than next engine overhaul after January 1, 1953.
In order to eliminate possible hazard due to excessive pressure from the engine-driven fuel pump, install a high-pressure relief valve between the fuel pump outlet and the inlet side of the hand wobble pump.
(Bellanca Service Bulletin No. 23 covers this same subject.)

So you should have this installed and don't need the earlier 2 gasket fix.

Every owner should have as part of their documentation all the Service Letters, Owner's Manual, List of ADs, Engine manual, parts catalog and the latest Type Certificate. The CD or micro-fiche for you plane is also very valuable. If you have an Aeromatic prop you can learn much from the operator manual and work shop manual as many prop shops don't have them. The Club can provide copies of every thing except the CD/MicroFiche.

This post is a few years old, but it has some useful reference information that is specific to a problem on my Franklin 165 installed in my Cruisair. I need to replace the fuel pump gaskets and I want to confirm the number of fuel pump gaskets involved. I read the Franklin Service Bulletin #48 that Larry referenced in the above post regarding the fuel pump replacement, which calls for two gaskets. Can someone tell me if there is a third fuel pump gasket, P/N 10860, between the engine case and the engine mounting rail? If so, any suggestions on removing the old gasket and installing a new one? And one last question, where can I get the new gaskets?

Back