Fuel Pumps for Franklin engines

Bernie Ferrie

Over here in Australia the diaphram engine driven fuel pump used on Franklin engines have been declared not airworthy, has this happen in the USA?

Has everyone heard of a different pump to use and were to get one?
Help!!!!!

regards
Bernie

The only nondiaphram pumps available are a PZL manufacture pump and Weldon pump that Charlie Duffy has an approval to use on the 180/220 series engine. I would probably use Charlie's pump system. You can call Susan at A-1 (903-626-5115)she has his number. If you have a 150 or 165 you will have to change the accessory case to a five hole case. You will also have to change all of the accessory drive and driven gears. An expensive undertaking but sounds like you have no choice.
Greg

Bernie,
Are all diaphram pumps grounded or only the Franklin? What about all the other aircraft with diaphram pumps: Piper Cherokee etc?

Will your authorities let you use an electric pump (or two for redundancy)? This would seem to be the easiest and cheapest way.
Ron

Thanks Ron,
It appears to be only the engine driven fuel on the Franklin engine. I don't know why the Australian Department decided to do this, they have some very strange ideas. I thought they may have been following an AD issued from the USA. If this was the case many people would be looking for a different pump.

I already have an electric back up pump plus the wobble pump, how much redunance do they want?

regards Bernie

Bernie,

I checked your AD (CASA AD/FK-P/6) on the CASA website. It is based on an AD issued in Poland (since PZL owns the Franklin Type Certificates). This AD is applicable in most countries since most places require compliance with all ADs issued by the country that has the responsibility for the design and manufacture. The USA only requires compliance with USA issued ADS (although the FAA usually issues an AD which is equivalent to the foreign AD eventually). Here in Canada, we have to comply with the Polish ADs directly. Canada does not rewrite the text like Australia did. In the Polish ADs (which are referenced in your AD) this is only applicable to the 6A-350 and 4A-235 series engines.

But all is not lost yet! Per the text of your AD, this is only applicable to pumps identified as AC P/N 5656774, AC Model AC4886 or PZL P/N 26.11.1710.

All Cruisairs should have AC Model 9072, AC P/N 1539072 or Franklin P/N 17962, so this AD would not be applicable to your aircraft.

Hope this is of some help.
Ron

Back