Fuel quantitiy sender

Brendan Carmody

The fuel quantity sender unit in the left tank of my 14-13-3 is not operating. It's a float in the fuel tank that moves a rheostat outside the tank. The variable resistance is apparently proportional to the fuel quantity. Does anyone have a recommendation as to where I might get this ancient unit re-built? :?:

I have had both of my tanks apart and sending units out. I had to repair one of mine by simply cleaning the wire that the wiper was not touching and adjust the wiper. It is a pretty simple process........Greg

The variable resister (rheostat) needs to be rewound, I think. I'd like that done by a pro. If I can't find one, I'll clean the contacts and put the unit back together carefully and re-install it. But, I fear that won't work.

I went thru that with mine during the rebuild. The Gauges and the sending units were 6 volts made by Stewart Warner. They are no longer in the instrement buisness. I bought one gauge and 2 sending units from Aircraft Spruce and installed a switch for left and right sending units. Works great saves very needed panel space. :D :D

Thanks, Randy.
My airplane is already equipped with a selector switch and one fuel quantity gauge. I'll check Aircraft Spruce for a Stewart Warner fuel quantity measuring/sending unit. But, if anyone knows a source for rebuilding the inop unit I'd like to know -- as a back-up in case Aircraft Spruce can't come through.

you missed the point. the gauge and senders are no longer manufactured . You will have to buy a new type kit from someone . the lowest price I found was Aircraft Spruce. It will be a 12 v system. There are a couple of antiiqe tractor supply houses out there that might have the same type unit. I could not find anyone that would rewind mine, If you find someone post it on this site. :lol: :lol:

Back