Fuel stains

mrich

Have a couple fuel stains on the under surface of the wing behind the fuel vent. Any good tricks or solvents to try?
Thanks

Boy I hope someone replies with a good way to get rid of them cause I'd like to get rid of some myself.
I've had limited success with mineral spirits but nothing to brag about .

I would recommend 3M Finesse-It. I have purchased it at Pep Boys. It would not do the potential damage some solvents/thinners might.

http://www.autogeek.net/3mfiniimacpo.html

I recently left one of my wing tank valves on (Champ) and it overfilled the header tank. Well, with the sun the fuel expanded and the entire cowling was stained with fuel. I'm on floats and hadn't been flying for over a week so it was pretty dried and stained by the time I noticed. What worked for me was the Aircraft Spec. Extreme Simple Green. Took a little soking and rubbed right off. Hope this helps.
Keith

I've had good luck using a quick shot of 'Scrubbing Bubbles.' It will melt away fuel stains of 100ll or autofuel. You'll find it, along with cleansers, Etc. at the grocery store. Comes in a 16oz. spray can. Just wipe off with a rag or paper towel.

Hi I tried the scrubbing bubbles and it worked ok on some of the newer fuel stains but was very weak on the old soaked in stains. While looking for the scrubbing bubbles I came across another product named Krud Kutter and it worked very well on the old dried stains did not make the fabric look new but much better than before. here a link to the product.
http://www.krudkutter.com/
Now I hope that when I go down to my hangar tomorrow that my Kitfox isn't the size of an RC model :D :lol: :p

Update on using the Krud Kutter, went down the hangar this AM to fly the Kitfox and it was half size :D :lol: :p just kidding!!
When I pulled it out into the daylight I was pleasantly surprised to see that the stain was much removed there is still kind of a cream color vs white but it is much better. So after a very nice flt :D I got busy and cleaned the underside of the wing again and its getting better it will problay never be white again these stains have been on / in the paint for 12+ years, on the top of the wing around the filler I sparyed the Krud Kutter and couldn't belive how it just seemed to melt away that ugly browm auto gas stain the top of the wing really looks good now. Went on to the belly since I was on a roll and it cleaned up the oil and gas stains very well here again its been many years in the formation.
It is by far the best cleaner stain remover I've used.

Thanks guys! Several good ideas to try. I'll post a progress report when I get back to the hanger.

Back