Fuel tank dip stick

Dunkly

I have a Scout with 70 gal. tanks on Amphibs during the summer, and wheels in the winter. I have made several attempts to develop a good fuel indicater dip stick, and am not happy or confident with what I have. It is important to me because I never fill the tanks when on the amphibs. Is there anything out there? or has anyone developed a good graduated stick?
Al

Dunkly:

I don't have an answer to your question, but I have wished for the same thing for my '76 7GCBC. I would like to know that answer also.

When I started flying citabrias on the line they had wooden dip sticks. I made one for my 79 GCBC and have one for my new 05 GCAA. It works fine so far.
Cut a piece of oak and note how much each side takes to cap off every time. The top line is easiest obviously. Mark it w/ a chisel. Put 17.5 under that line. Make marks for 15 12.5 10 7.5 and 5 gallons.
Always double check w/ fuel guages. My stick has been right on. Checking the new one now for the new plane.

FYI-

Use a paint stirrer, the soft wood makes reading easier, the fuel will evaporate quickly enough to dip the opposite tank.

Tom-

Not me.. I use only oak, I don't want pieces of soft wood splintering off and ending up in the fuel line. I have never had a problem reading it and I know it won't break.

I went to a plastic supply store and bought an 8' piece of stiff clear acrylic tubing with a 1/8 ID hole in it and marked the levels on it by scratching it with a nail. Dip it in the tank and hold your finger over the end when you pick it up to see the level. You will have enough plastic left over to make a half dozen for your friends at the field. 8' cost me $2.50!
Chic

I don't think there will ever be a stick or tube that works on the 72 gal Scout tanks. Especially since the tank your trying to stick can show empty when the inboard tank still has several gallons of fuel.
I think a good watch or a fuel totalizer is the only answer.

Back