Full Flap Landings?

dtreid

I recently have purchased a 14-13-3. How many here use full flap (47 degree) during landings? If so, what speed do you approach?

I almost always use full flaps. 65-70 mph on short final. Not really looking at the asi as i cross the fence (though i should).
Larry L

Congrats on the purchase of your Cruisair! fun
As I recall, I used all the flap I could on short final, even thought of the possibility of adding more as a split flap inboard. (if one is a masochist, STC's could be fun) With a lot of flap, the ailerons are great right down to the stall. A baby doll to land. I always used full flap. A crazy crosswind might be an exception, but even then, the manual flaps can be dumped in half a second to get more weight on the tailwheel.
Approaches I did at about 80mph and a couple of notches of flap for traffic. Considerably slower is also OK if you are light. Probably lots of varieties of opinion on this subject.
ron

The fellow I purchased it from said that he had never used full flap (he used the 3rd notch) for fear of ripping them off.

I am in to a fairly short grass strip and don't really like the float. I also fly a Helio Courier so I am more than used to the steep approaches with no float.

If you abide by the 86 IAS limitation, you won't break anything.
Just like the Helio, use a touch of power to control decent. 60 IAS on short final is plenty. I always use full flaps on landing.
Dan

Ha...This even works if you are flying the 14-9 that doesn't have flaps, except use 50-55 IAS...or you will float like a
T-craft. Maintain airspeed with pitch attitude. Maintain descent rate with power...basic Private pilot stuff.
I have found that all Bellancas will develop a high sink rate below 80 IAS with power off. Keep this in mind in a forced landing situation.
Dan

Using second notch.. 22 degrees give you a LOT of flexibility and big margin of safety since the airplane will not require immediate flap change on a go-around. Use 70 on final approach for 3 point, 65 over the fence.

85 on final for wheel landing ( touch down at 80 ). 1 notch preferred for wheel landing... all set to go-around.

Full flaps for steepest approach and shortest run-out- but watch your glide path ! 46 degrees adds a LOT of drag.

In gusty and variable x-wind conditions, being slow with full flaps leaves you vulnerable with no options,
mastering the wing low wheel landing with it's extra speed - mo bettah.

The airplane will establish a positive rate of climb with full flaps... something a C172 simply cannot do, but the airplane wont climb very damn much. With 2nd notch you are in much better shape on the go-around, but by 200 feet I personally want to be climbing at Vy ( 80-85) using 1 notch 7 degrees.

I am only 50 hours into learning to fly this thing, while the other guys have mastery of the cruisair.
So my comments are very much limited by that fact.

For what it's worth... flying it this way has kept me out of trouble so far. :wink:

Back