fuselage recovering experience?

planebones

I am used to using "envelopes" to recover fuselages, but am ready to recover my 14-13-2 with yard goods Polyfiber. I would like to talk to someone who has done this to save me from the learning curve monster. I appreciate youze guys Thanks Ken McCune 307-699-0087 mcbears@tetontel.com

Ken- I just completed covering my fuselage. I ordered an envelope and used most of it. What I did was cover the bottom of the fuselage first, split the envelope down the bottom, and used the envelope to cover the sides and top all at once.
The only drawback to this method is the rib stitching along the stringer on top of the fuselage. You have to use the "blind rib" method outlined in the Poly-Fibre manual.
I think Guiseppe originally covered the top and bottom first and then stitched them before putting the sides on. I was just too lazy to sew the fabric together for the vertical stabilizer attachment. Looking back, I kind of wish I had bitten the bullet and used all blankets instead of an envelope.
Do you have your interior installed already?

Dave, I really like the article you wrote in the latest BC contact. I am considering recovering the belly and would like to see you'r handy work and talk about the down time I could expect for that project. I am in Clemson SC and could make a quick flight over if you could tell me where to land and what would be a convenient time to schedule.

Since you've been working on the project for some time I wonder if you have a second bird to enjoy while the project continues?
Regards
:D :D

Clemson huh? Heck we're neighbors :D
Yeppir- come on over, but beware- I may put you to work :wink:

I was flying with Redstone Arsenal Flying Activity (RAFA) her on base, but decided about a year ago to put those dollars to work in my Cruisair. I'm afraid I'm very rusty by now.
It was a choice between finishing 392 or flying something that wouldn't keep me taildragger-current anyway (Cessna 182 RG and a Piper Arrow). This decision was made because I don't want to take out a loan on the Cruisair. When I finish, I want it to be MY airplane- free and clear. 8)

Thank you for the kind words about my article. I hope the last chapter will be this October titled something like "Paint, Post-rebuild Inspection, and Test Flight."
Writing for the newletter is something I really enjoy. I can't thank Robert Szego enough for putting it together and presiding over our Club. I'm very proud to be a member.

E-mail me and I'll send you my phone number so we can get together. Always glad to meet folks in our air-minded community.

Howdy Dave & the boys: I have my hard points for shoulder harnesses welded in & primed. I have my headliner mostly installed ( one of the old glue goints popped that holds the bows in, so had to repair that. I am going to visit another Cruisair project thursday in Blackfoot ID ( Russ Anderson) to take some pictures of the mysteries of my not complete project. He has an extra fuselage envelope for a 14-19-2 he will sell me. thanks...Ken

Keep up the good work. For kicks I got two quotes for recover and paint for my 58 Cruisemaster. 23.5k and 25k BIG BUCKS so boys keep up the good work. Lynn N9818B

Back