FYI 180 HP Franklin + Prop on Ebay 327 smoh

blimpy

As of May 9 ( two days to go) there is a 180 hp Franklin 6A4-335-B1 with constant speed prop and 327 smoh
"as removed from a triple tail bellanca" ( per seller) for sale on Ebay for $6500. Location is Mojave.

Log books inevidence showing some recent inspections, but no flight in some years.

You'd have to contact the seller for a fuller picture of what this is in terms of TT, and etc.

---

Also, I have info on a pile of Franklin parts... cylinders, cranks, cams, and cases
as-is and where is in Sacramento.

he was asking $1500 months ago.. but I bet it would go for ?? $500.
he was moving out of a hanger and wanted it gone.

I have no need of a pile of parts ( I hope).

contact me for info.

ya, this is really suspicious.

states engine was made in 1966 but used in a cruisair - maybe but not without a field approval.
...."Excellent Condition, Engine was not flown/used from 79' to 97'. at that time it was broke down and inspected to prove flight hrs. were correct (see photos of Logbook entry)"... you cant verify the hours on an engine by inspecting it. airworthy or not maybe, but not the hours.
The exhaust is on backwards and looks to be made from cheap auto parts. The prop (if it ever really had that prop on it) would hit them.
It's real pretty, but I'll bet someone had intentions to use it on an airboat or orchard fan.

sounds like a lot of guessing and assumptions going on here...

There used to be a perfectly legal, multiple STC to put the 180 Franklin in a Cruisair. It was sold by Debs Aero (I believe) in the 60s, and 70s. I think that only 13 of the STCs were sold. I have a plane(in pieces) that has the STC, but I dont have the engine. I believe that Dan C has one, and Larry Lowenkron has an STC, but also, no engine. Paul Klingborg, Bruce Kown and a few others, but they are rare. There was one for sale in Oklahoma about 2 years ago, so they are still floating around out there. There may have been a few more done on field approvals or one time STCs, but I have not run across that information. The character in Colorado that set up a Franklin Dealership for a few years bought the Rights to the STC, and then went bankrupt , so I dont know who ended up with the rights. It is not of much concern, since the engines are as rare as hens teeth. If Franklin ever put them back in production, they would be a great engine for the Crusair. A 6 cylinder that will run on almost any gas(it is a 7 to1 compression) and it fits in the Cruisair with only a few cowl adjustments. I will not be holding my breath for Franklin to go back into production.______Grant.

I had, may still have pictures of the franklin parts in Sacto.
From memory about 10 cylinders, 3 crankshafts, misc cases, cams, and parts.
I don't know about pistons, whether 150 or 165 cyls ( doesn't matter much).

All in used and condition unknown status.
no logs I don't think.

A handful of serviceable exhaust valves would make it worthwhile.

Larry :D

Back