Garmin 430 In A Cruisair

bdon661

Has anyone here ever put a non-WAAS Garmin 430 in a Cruisair? NC86916 has a beautiful, unbutchered panel that contains a Terra Comm & Nav and a II Morrow Loran. Stop laughing. I'd like to replace these boat anchors with a single Garmin 430 and replace the Terra "Tri Nav" indicator with a Garmin indicator. The hole for the Garmin is slightly smaller than the current hole for the Terra's and the Loran. Is anyone aware of any caveats or "gotcha's" with putting a 430 in a Cruisair?

Here's a pic of the panel with the Terra's and the Loran. Interestingly, the Terra's work fine. The transponder is a Narco AT-150 mounted discreetly in the left side panel and it works fine, so I'll keep it for now.

Larry L will be back from vacation in a few days, and I think he has a 430 that he is planning on installing. I am sure he will respond. ____Grant.

bdon661 said:
Has anyone here ever put a non-WAAS Garmin 430 in a Cruisair?

I don't know anyone that's done it in a Crusair, but there's certainly nothing wrong with it. It's a very fine NAVCOM if nothing else. The GPS needs a subscription if you plan to use it for enroute IFR but if you're strictly VFR you can get away without it.
Pay close attention to the GPS antenna installation requirements.. they have some specs that I cant explain but are there in black-and-white...

I've had a 430W in my skylane for 5 years with zero issues, got another one waiting to go into my 260..

In regard to ADS-B the 430 would be a great addition. The XPR would not be able to talk to ADS-B. The only XPR (non mode S)that I know of that does talk ADS-B or UAT is the Garmin 327. Not to worry we got 5 years and in computer field that is many lifetimes. Notice all the manufactures and industry people are saying get the upgrade now as you won't have to wait at the avionics shop. What they are not saying: yeah get it now and pay big bucks because in 5 yrs it will be obsolete and we will have a better cheaper product. It is hard to justify spending 7 grand for 15 grand airplane just to meet compliance. I think I will wait this one out. Lynn

I am going to put a 430w in my Cruisair, since I do fly it IFR. Have had it for a while, but just never seem to get around to installing it. I have to build a new portion of my radio stack panel after I pull my KX 155 and install a 2 in. CDI. Jeez, it really is true, that the primary purpose of small planes is so you can work on them, then occasionally (VERY occasionaly) you get to fly them.
Larry Lowenkron

Back