GCAA buying advice

eppoh

I may be going to look at a GCAA soon.
Any advice appreciated.
Also, can someone recommend a mechanic in the Dallas area to do a prebuy?

Thanks

What year is it?
I just bought an 05 GCAA last week after flying my 79 Bellanca GCBC for over ten years.

The first thing you want to know is if the aircraft has ever been on its back and had wing spar damage that wa repaired in the field without replacing the spars. If so pass.
Get a good rag and tube mechanic to punch test the fabric and go through it. To find one look for people who do recovering in the area. They will recommend somone for you

I believe the fabric and spars were replaced within the last 6 years. Hangar kept- photos are beautiful. Looks new.

With everything I have read about spars and nails, I am gunshy. So I need a Citabria experienced mechanic to look at the spars for me. Anyone cna check out the engine and tubes.

Any recommendations in Dallas area?

If it has new spars ask if the new ring shank nailes were glued. It shouldnt be hard for a mechanic to pull the inspection cover and see if the rib nails are still there. Was it used for aerobatics? Dont forget the extra inspection covers that should have been installed in the top of the wings.

JoeSF said:
If it has new spars ask if the new ring shank nailes were glued. It shouldnt be hard for a mechanic to pull the inspection cover and see if the rib nails are still there. Was it used for aerobatics? Dont forget the extra inspection covers that should have been installed in the top of the wings.

Tell me about the top wing inspection covers. Is there and AD or a service bulletin on those you could direct me to?

I don't understand what you mean about "gluing ring shank nails". How do you glue a nail?

No damage since the new spars and cover in 2000.

Jerry has you directed to the right place.

When they install the nails most use wood glue so the ring shanks are less likely to work themselves out.

I think thats the first time someone said there was 'lots of info' on the site. LOL

I had big hopes and dreams about building an information empire on the tech page....heh, was I a dreamer. I cant even write an article for BC Contact :?

Back