Gear trunion housing crack

pdriscoll

During my annual inspection on my bellanca 14-13 I found a slight crack on the tube that contains the brass trunion. I recently got the crack welded by a certified aircraft welder and have installed it back on the aircraft. The gear structure design and most notably the 4130 tube that contains the brass trunion appears to be kind of spindly and perhaps not beefy enough. I want to make absolutely certaint that no other issues might arise, so I want to solicit members to see what has caused the majority of landing gear collapse and if they have modified their gear with extra heavy tube ect.. Have most of the issues been attributed to poor maintenance or loss of control of the aircraft (ie: excessive rate of descent) that have caused gear collapse. Before I fly I will take extra precautions to make sure that my aircraft is absolutely safe and gives me hours of safe efficient travel.

patrick
N74241

This is a dated post that needs a reply.
Usually the only damage that occurs to the retract (long) strut happens if the gear is not fully extended on a rough field or rough landing. Damage can happen when there is an attempt to overextend the gear. This situation exists when there is no stop nut installed at the end of the jackshaft (acme screw) and Hulk Hogan is cranking the gear.
If rigged correctly, stop cranking when resistance is felt. The two flat plates on the rear of the drag link and front of the retract strut touch and the rearward forces on the gear are transmitted to the rear spar---not the retract strut.
Dan

Back